What's new

Using ORBI with AC86U - recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkfinger

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I've been using Merlin on AC86U for a while, but I've never been fully happy with range because of the lath and plaster plus chicken wire in our walls. Had to resort to a powerline+wifi extender (yikes). Anyway, I installed an Orbi yesterday (RBK50 with the larger single satellite) and while the coverage is certainly better it's sure hard to give up some of the features I love about the merlin-equipped 86U (DNS filtering, and many more).

I am wondering whether I should use both systems together: put the Orbi into AP mode and disable radios on the 86U. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me on this.

Dave

PS. I haven't considered using AIMesh. Didn't seem ready for prime time and there's the lack of merlin too.

Hi,
I've been using Merlin on AC86U for a while, but I've never been fully happy with range because of the lath and plaster plus chicken wire in our walls. Had to resort to a powerline+wifi extender (yikes). Anyway, I installed an Orbi yesterday (RBK50 with the larger single satellite) and while the coverage is certainly better it's sure hard to give up some of the features I love about the merlin-equipped 86U (DNS filtering, and many more).

I am wondering whether I should use both systems together: put the Orbi into AP mode and disable radios on the 86U. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me on this.

Dave

PS. I haven't considered using AIMesh. Didn't seem ready for prime time and there's the lack of merlin too.

Have ac86u with RBK50V. AC86U with both radio disabled. Orbi connects to AC86U in AP mode using DHCP. Wired connection from one orbi to ac86u. Other satellite in opposite room downstairs. Excellent coverage everywhere and you keep asus merlin features.