What's new

Using QNAP UPS server to signal other devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I tried to use a single UPS with the NUT application/service on Windows 8, it really didn't work well at all. I don't feel it is worth the effort.

I used the NUT app packaged installed on pfsense, this works great with the QNAP devices. They can signal each other no problem, each one can be the master, no issues.

It is just easier to have one UPS for the Windows PC and one for the pfsense and QNAP NAS, for my setup.

The maintenance cost is an extra battery, $20, every 4 or 5 years.

Again, for reference, if you want the the pfsense box to be plugged into the UPS, and use the pfsense box as a master (so APC USB cable is attached to pfsense), to shutdown QNAP UPS or others, then here is process.

1. Download and install NUT on pfsense using the package manager. Plug the APC USB cable into your pfsense router box. Configure NUT for your local UPS, and make sure it is working.

Under NUT's "Local UPS settings":

Local UPS Name: qnapups (this is important!)
Local UPS Model: APC Back-UPS ES USB (for my UPS)
Local UPS Port: auto (USB only)
(for my UPS)

Don't bother with the Remote Access settings as they don't matter.

You must set up a NAT rule to allow remote access to NUT on your pfsense box, even from your local network. Under Firewall - NAT, add a rule like this:

If: LAN
Proto: TCP
Scr. addr/Ports: * / *
Dest Addr/Ports: 192.168.2.1/3493 (change to match your LAN IP)
NAT IP/Ports: 127.0.0.1/3493

Now set your QNAP UPS to "Network UPS Slave" mode and you should see the UPS information/runtime etc.

Cheers,
Dennis.

I know this is an old thread, but it's really great functionality for the UPS that I would like to implement.

I have QNAP T-882, pfSense router and HP L3 switch.

Is there any advantage to having either the QNAP or the router be the master? It seems that the router would use less power and therefore should be last unit running. Also, far less critical for my home network if router /switch lose power immediately than the QNAP.

Even though this thread is quite dated, it set me in the right direction, so my sincere thanks to all!!

I have a QNAP TS-212e and have it configured as the UPS Master. I was able to use WinNUT 2.0.0.4a to connect my Win10 PC as a slave by using the following line in the client's upsmon.conf file:
  • MONITOR qnapups@<your-QNAS-IP> 1 admin 123456 slave
    • note the above username/password, as created by the NAS by default
You can find (and examine) the QNAP-created files by ssh'ing into it and looking in directory /etc/config/ups/
  • notably, files upsmon.conf and upsd.users
    • any IPs you configure on your NAS to be notified upon UPS shutdown, will result in lines in the config files to allow access to these hosts; of course, you'll have to install/configure NUT (or WinNUT) on those hosts
Hope this helps somebody!

Cheers,
Brady

Hi, I'm new here and I don't normally unearth old topics, but what I am about to describe follows on from much of what has been posted here before.

My setup:
APC CS500 UPS
2 x QNAP TS-431 NAS
2 x external HDD
Win10Pro PC
24-port Cisco Gb switch

The UPS protects all of these and is connected to 1 NAS as master, the other NAS is a slave. Both NAS show a battery indicator at 100%, but not the time remaining on battery. They are set to enter auto-protection mode after 2 mins on battery. So far, so good.

As a trial, I have installed APC's Powerchute Home software. It also showed the battery as full and the load at 150W, just under 50%. According to the run time calculator on APC's web site, this should be enough to keep the lights on for 14 mins. However, at the bottom of the screen it indicated a run time of < 1min. (The ups was bought 2nd hand and the vendor has partially refunded my money, so I can buy a new battery, which will happen shortly.) Pulling the plug saw the UPS shut down after 1:50. As Powerchute doesn't network I removed it again.

So then I installed Winnut, abandoned in 2011, but works under Win10. However, it indicates in the log that the master reports the battery always to be low, so when the power fails it shuts down after 5 secs and that seemingly can't be changed.

The system needs to be on 24/7 and has to restart automatically after a power failure. So now I have these questions:

1. How can I stop NUT on the UPS report low battery, so a 10 sec brownout doesn't cause the PC to shut down?

2. If the mains power comes back on before the battery is flat, how can I reboot the PC? Wake-on-LAN works, but not always the 1st time round... Perhaps NUT can be made to run a script every time a shutdown is cancelled. Failing that, a cron job. Something like "ping PC, if it fails send WOL, repeat after 30 secs"

I'd appreciate any hints and guidance. I have shell access on the NAS.
Thanks in advance,
Peter.