What's new

Using RT-N66U with a MiFi to provide Ethernet AND wifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JPCoetzee

New Around Here
Hello SNB, my first time here.

My old workstation has no wifi or Bluetooth. I want to create a backup internet connection using an old EE Osprey 2 Mifi and Asus RT-N66U. NB the Osprey 2 Mifi does support Remote NDIS but this doesn't work on my PC, probably because I don't have Admin rights.
EEOsprey.jpg
This setup works well using Media Bridge mode (stock ASUS firmware, latest build). However I would also like the RT-N66U to work as a wireless extender but in Media Bridge mode there is no wifi.

Is this easily possible using the stock ASUS firmware? I have seen WDS mode in the configuration interface but it seems very fiddly and AFAIK only supports insecure access (open or WEP).

Would one of the DD-WRT, Merlin, John's Fork firmwares be better?

many thanks

However I would also like the RT-N66U to work as a wireless extender but in Media Bridge mode there is no wifi.

Switch it to Repeater Mode. You don't need anything else. LAN ports are still available in Repeater Mode.

Stock firmware was last updated a year ago and RMerlin seemed to stop supporting the 66 in 2018. John's fork is still currently updated but I can't speak to DD-WRT...my eyes glass over on their website.
Stock firmware and RMerlin's both lock out other upgrades (such as John's) to conform to FCC power regs and one needs to use either the CFE Mini Server or the W$ rescue utility to load "unblessed" firmware.