What's new

Using two ASUS RT-AC88U to extend wireless coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Occasional Visitor
Good morning,

I have 2 x RT-AC88U's. One of which has a broken antenna (young, clumsy children!). So I bought a second a while ago.

The one with the broken antenna will still pump out a wireless signal and give me the 300/150 down/up connection I have no problem. Only issue is the range is reduced.

However at the moment i am using a BT HomeHub 5, via powerline, to provide wireless signal on a different SSID at the bottom end of the apartment.

The apartment is 42m long but has thick concrete walls, marble floors and the kitchen is in between the lounge where the fully working 88U is.

So could I put the other 88U in say the kitchen and then use it to extend the wireless coverage? Or would I be better getting a netgear ex8000/linksys re9000? My idea is to get the 5GHz band to reach throughout the whole apartment.

Thank you

Carl.

Good morning,

I have 2 x RT-AC88U's. One of which has a broken antenna (young, clumsy children!). So I bought a second a while ago.

The one with the broken antenna will still pump out a wireless signal and give me the 300/150 down/up connection I have no problem. Only issue is the range is reduced.

However at the moment i am using a BT HomeHub 5, via powerline, to provide wireless signal on a different SSID at the bottom end of the apartment.

The apartment is 42m long but has thick concrete walls, marble floors and the kitchen is in between the lounge where the fully working 88U is.

So could I put the other 88U in say the kitchen and then use it to extend the wireless coverage? Or would I be better getting a netgear ex8000/linksys re9000? My idea is to get the 5GHz band to reach throughout the whole apartment.

Thank you

Carl.

Did you take a look in the AiMesh thread??

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...r-rt-ac68u-rt-ac86u-rt-ac5300-rt-ac88u.40745/