What's new

UTP and 230V AC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnSRT

New Around Here
I have run 10 meter (32 feet) UTP CAT-6 cable for use in a 1G Ethernet network. On its path the UTP cable cross over a 230V AC power cable, I might be able to separate the two cables by around 1.5 cm (0.59 inches), but at the moment they touch.

Could noise from the 230V cable become a problem for the network?

As long as it is not parallel (UTP and the AC Power), should be ok - keep the angles as close to perpendicular as possible - same thing would apply to Coax and AC power..

If it's an issue perhaps putting something between them? I am thinking about a bicycle tire tube just don't cover the AC line! That may hold heat in which could be quite bad.

If it's an issue perhaps putting something between them? I am thinking about a bicycle tire tube just don't cover the AC line! That may hold heat in which could be quite bad.
Just don't run them parallel...

Hopping over a run, sometimes unavoidable...

If I understand correctly as long as UTP and AC power are not parallel and the angles are perpendicular, distance between the cables doesn't matter and I don't have to try and seperate them further?

Before running the cable I did think of using STP, but I already had UTP cable and unshielded connectors, so it would have been much more expensive. I have also read that STP could cause many problems if not installed correctly and is generally not recommended for home use.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!