What's new

Vertical jumpy pogo-stick web pages are back again

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
Vertical jumpy pogo-stick web pages are back again
Every page display.
2 seconds after the first rendering, the top of page banner add size changes.
You wind up having to wait, else you click just as it moves vertically.

When reporting issues - probably would be useful to mention which browser (and version)..

There were some issues with pop-in interstitial ads a couple of weeks back, and Mr. Higgins suggested to change the cookie handling settings - which helped tremendously...

With Firefox, it's a bit hidden in the latest versions - see link below

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-third-party-cookies

Firefox (latest), or IE. Win 7.
Jumpy is caused by the ad image in the top of the page changing during the first page display.

This happened before on this forum. Was fixed. Now not.

Not related to cookies.
Simply that the top banner ads change on the fly and change size.

Firefox (latest), or IE. Win 7.
Jumpy is caused by the ad image in the top of the page changing during the first page display.

This happened before on this forum. Was fixed. Now not.

Not related to cookies.
Simply that the top banner ads change on the fly and change size.

Please work with Tim Higgins directly with regards to site behavior and feedback.

PM him via the forum, he's very responsive...

been there, done that; Ad income seems to be paramount. Fortunately, I don't pay my bills with web site income! :)

With Chrome for Android I am not experiencing this problem. The area at the top of the page is sized for an ad, even if the ad pic has not yet loaded.

I think Tim deserves a little more respect than you are giving him, @stevech. Just my opinion, of course. :)

This vertical page hopping up/down is really annoying. And unique to this web site.
I deleted the cookies in Firefox that might be related. Guessing. No help. Even deleted, the swine adverts would reinstate, right?

I ran Chrome on this site, first time. Not logged in. NO jumpy pages. I logged in for the first time. After a few adverts, the page jumping began with Chrome.

What's so expletive unpleasant is that I change pages, wait a couple of seconds for the page to stop shuffling vertically, then just as I click: BAM, the page jumps again and I click on the wrong place.

The page jumps went away for some months at last complaint. Back again.
They're caused by the top banner graphics changing size and the strategy (now gone?) for space reserved for the largest possible ad isn't working.

Still works fine here.

It may be a Windows 10 Edge problem. I am seeing it also. The forum screen paints very fast and you are left hanging for the Ads to resolve. It would be nice if you could scroll down as you are waiting for the Ads to paint but the forum part of the page is frozen until all ads paint. Sometimes you wait 3 seconds before you can page down.

PS
I turned on Ad block on Untangle and it seems to be working. I can now scroll immediate on the forum paint and do not seem to be getting ADs. I hope all the Apple products work. I had trouble last time with Apple products but now there are IOS upgrades. We will see.

Last edited:
again - any rendering issues with the site - should be best to PM Tim Higgins directly, and include the appropriate details...

Can anyone else see the problem with Windows10 Edge browser or Chrome or any other browser / os?

Can anyone else see the problem with Windows10 Edge browser or Chrome or any other browser / os?

Fine here... OS X and Windows - Safari, Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge (I usually don't use Edge/MSIE).

@stevech - are you using font size overrides or custom CSS (some browsers allow this) that could be messing about with the layout?

Fine here... OS X and Windows - Safari, Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge (I usually don't use Edge/MSIE).

@stevech - are you using font size overrides or custom CSS (some browsers allow this) that could be messing about with the layout?
No, everything's the default.
Note that I experienced too-jumpy with both FF and Chrome as discussed earlier.

I do see lots of such image-size-influenced jumpies on CNN and some other big-ad sites.
But this is the only "forum" it happens on.

Seems to me it's simply that the HTML is coded such that any browser has to render a page, then re-render with different sized top row image sizes than the first rendering. Simple. Somehow the browser is supposed to anticipate a 2nd rendering ???

Microsoft just made a big change to my Windows 10 machines and they work better now with the screens on this site. Some how my pages were freezing until the ads posted but after the Microsoft change I am not seeing the freezing pages.

Interesting...

This might be a Xenforo CSS rendering bug that has zero to do with SNB's forums...

(There's a fair amount of javascript and CSS going on with the Xenforo platform - even if Tim H. expanded the canvas for the 'large' ads at the top of the page, it's the CSS that the browser is working with to render the page, that Tim changed things on the site, and it still happens, it's not on Mr. Higgins directly, it's Xenforo...)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!