Vertical mounting possible?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by rico567, Feb 20, 2013.

1. rico567

rico567 New Around Here

I'm strongly considering the RT-N66U, but it's 11 x 14 footprint is quite large for the shelf I have devoted to my network equipment (and it's not simple, because all the 10Base-T is pulled to that spot). Is it possible to mount this thing vertically?

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. ScottW

ScottW Regular Contributor

Not sure about the mounting question, but I think you have the size wrong. The 11x14 sounds like the size of the box in which it comes, not the router itself.

N66U footprint is 8.1" x 5.86" x 1.38" (WxDxH). Including the antennas, the height is 6.5".

4. rico567

rico567 New Around Here

Amazon gives these dimensions:

Product Dimensions: 11 x 3.5 x 14 inches ; 1.8 pounds

Of course, maybe they got the measurements of the packaging by mistake :rolleyes:

5. ScottW

ScottW Regular Contributor

I went and found the box... Even it isn't that big, so I don't know where Amazon is coming up with those numbers. The box is 12 x 9.25 x 3.25.

The router itself is only 8.1" w x 5.86" d x 1.38" h (with antennas, 6.5" h).

Specs can be found here:
    http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/#specifications

6. setaylor

setaylor Occasional Visitor

I mounted mine vertically but did notice a signal drop. It's hard to position the antennas optimally, or maybe I just never got it right. YMMV.

7. RogerSC

RogerSC Very Senior Member

I've had my router vertical, using the stand, since I bought it, it runs cooler that way. And it takes up a lot less space. Yes, you do have to play with the antennas, which isn't too hard using a laptop with inSSIDer or an Android phone with a network analyzer app. I'd be surprised if you have the antennas positioned optimally for both router orientations, vertical and horizontal, and saw a difference in signal strength due to router orientation.