What's new

View Wired computer from WIFI laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bartian

New Around Here
What I'm trying to do is very simple but I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it... Maybe someone will help me or point me to the right direction.

I can see the WIFI computer from the Wired computer but not visa versa

I have a Wired desktop running windows 10 connected to my router/modem VIA ethernet cable. I have 2 more laptops connected to the same router/modem VIA WIFI. I want to be able to see the Wired connection of the desktop on my laptops to be able to push and pull files from desktop as it is wired to the router/modem from the Wifi Laptops.

Make sure they are assigned as a 'Private' network, not a public one.

Also, you might wanna make sure ICMP is enabled on your wired computer. If ya can't ping it by IP then you might want to double check.

I assume they are both in the same 'Workgroup'?

Have you assigned the router to be the Master Browser? (Asus w/RMerlin firmware in USB / Samba options).

There in the same "HomeGroup" and for their workgroup there both assigned for their workgroup to be "workgroup". No I haven't assigned the router to be the master browser. I have everything on Windows 10 to enable sharing I know that. Could you give me a tutorial to make the router a master browser.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... so the two wireless laptops can see / ping each other? If so what happens if you plug one of them into the router?

You are having issues seeing the wired Windows 10 machine?

When I upgraded my wired PC to Windows 10 it completely screwed my home network, could not access it from any of my other devices. I found a solution on the internet which involved editing some settings in the registry. If I can remember and find the page I will post back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There in the same "HomeGroup" and for their workgroup there both assigned for their workgroup to be "workgroup". No I haven't assigned the router to be the master browser. I have everything on Windows 10 to enable sharing I know that. Could you give me a tutorial to make the router a master browser.

Which router do you have? An Asus router running RMerlin firmware (or the john9527 or hggomes forks thereof) will give that option under:
USB Application
Media Services and Servers
Network Place (Samba) Share.

I recommend to change the default Workgroup name to anything else and make sure you change it on each of your computers too (will require a reboot on each of them).

By any chance, are you running an Restricted account vs. an Administrator in Windows? Log in to the administrator account on the wireless computer and see if you can browse other computers then.

I am not running an restricted account on anything I have full admin access to all computers all on the same microsoft account. I have a ARRIS tgTG862. Ill try changing the WOrkgroup of each one.

With Laptop1 WIFI i can see all connections Its a Windows 8 device, With Laptop2 WIFI I can only see Laptop1, With Desktop1 I can see all connections on a wired network.

Update on this....
I am able to see the desktop from the laptop when I plug both of them into the same router VIA ethernet cord and change the homegroup but as soon as I change my laptop to WIFI mode it kicks the Desktop from the network selection.

One home/SOHO LAN.
One router per LAN.

Many access points (APs), or "repeaters" per LAN to improve coverage.
Some routers can be reconfigured to be an AP. That done, it is NOT a router.
Don't daisy-chain ROUTERs.
One router with DHCP, one subnet number.

Keep it simple.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!