What's new

Virgin Media Hub 3 , RT-AC68U Speed Loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

linkmaster

Regular Contributor
My setup

Virgin Media Hub 3 in modem only mode, Line is maxed at 352 Mbs

RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.8_2

PC running ethernet connection directly to the RT-AC68U

My issue (I'm hoping someone may have had this issue and know a setting I can change)

IF I run through the Router , the max speed I get is 195-204Mbs

IF I run directly connected to the Hub, using the same cable from my PC , I max out at 350-360Mbs.

Does anyone know of a setting in the firmware I can tweak to get my full speed going through the RT-AC68U?

The difference in speed is a huge drop.

As a side note, check in the Virgin Community forums to see if your SH3 has the firmware version that tries to reduce the impact of the Puma chipset issue that affects your connection. Particularly if you play online games.

just for testing/comparing, change your modem from bridge to router mode, reset 68U and configure in router-mode too (double NAT), in another test with AP mode.

Turned Nat acceleration to Auto and Trend Micro and QoS were already off , unfortunately no change.
Power cycle the router to make sure to change is effective. Then check the state of HW acceleration on the Tools page.

just for testing/comparing, change your modem from bridge to router mode, reset 68U and configure in router-mode too (double NAT), in another test with AP mode.

Turns out HW acceleration was being auto-toggled off because I had Per IP logging toggled on, switching it off and a re-boot did the trick..many thanks.