What's new

VLAN bridging on SG300 series L3 switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ekhoo

Occasional Visitor
Just checking on the best way to accomplish the following and remove another device off my home network.

My home Fiber Internet comes in on VLAN500 (VLAN600 is IPTV). My RV042 Router connects to the Fiber BTU via a Mikrotik RB750G which splits the VLANs to 2 separate ports - my IPTV is happy and so is my broadband. The VLAN500 port is connected to my RV042.

Now that I have an SG300-28P at home - can I do the same. i.e. set port 26 to VLAN500 and VLAN600. Set port 27 to VLAN500 and port 28 to VLAN600?

You still need a firewall for internet traffic. There are no layer 3 switches for home networks which can perform that function. It would be nice.

Yeah, still need the firewall but I thought at least I can have 3 ports on the switch doing the bridging and the RV042 WAN can connect to that particular port with the LAN port connected for the rest of the switch.

Right now it looks like this:
Fiber BTU --> (Port 1) Mikrotik RB750G (port 2) --VLAN500--> RV042 --> SG300-28P
(The RB750G also splits off VLAN600 for IPTV on port 4)

Oh well...

There is no reason you cannot route traffic in and out of your switch and then through another device and back in if you want after all it is a switch. You just need to make sure you segment the traffic.