What's new

VLAN traffic coming in on the wrong interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chasx003

New Around Here
I know vlan tagging is not really officially supported, but figured I'd ask here if anyone has had the same issue as me...

I have a 2 NIC pfsense box, with the lan interface having 2 extra vlans, 4 (10.0.0.1/24) and 5. I have an Asus RT-ac3100 in AP mode with asuswrt-merlin running on it and am using this start up script to make the wan port a trunk from my pfsense box, and put the guest SSID's on my vlan 4 & 5.

So all that is working per say. When I connect my devices to the guest vlan (4) SSID,the internet is extremely intermittent, and when I go and look at the FW logs in pfsense, I see that a ton of the traffic is getting blocked on the LAN interface by a default rule https://imgur.com/a/ZEUb051

I did a packet capture on the LAN interface, and can see some of the 10.0.* traffic on there. In the packet capture, any packet that is src 10.* , does not have a vlan tag, but if it is a destination address, it does.

Anyone seen anything similar to this? Is my script missing something that would cause traffic to not get tagged?

I don't know anything about ASUS routers but in the old days with VLANs and non-VLAN aware switches. The non-VLAN aware switches would strip the tags off VLAN traffic and you would end up with a lot of default traffic which should have been tagged traffic.