What's new

VMWare Fusion - Asus not assigning IP Address to Guest Machine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

losdelrock

Occasional Visitor
OK, bit of a complicated one.

I run VMWare Fusion on my MacBook. I have an Asus 5300 which is on 380.68.4.

On this MacBook I have a Windows 10 VM. When connected to the Asus, the Windows 10 VM does not pick up an IP address if I set the NIC on the VM to autodetect and DHCP.

This means that the Windows 10 machine should act as a separate device on my local LAN.

If I set the NIC on the VM to NAT traffic via the MacBook, it works fine but it is obviously not on the same LAN as my other devices and is Natting via my MacBook.

Also, if I assign a static IP to the Windows VM in autodetect mode, then it works and appears on my LAN. So, DHCP appears not to be passing through to the Asus somehow.

I know it is the Asus and probably the firmware on it because:

1) It has worked before on previous firmwares - not sure which version but if needs be I can keep downgrading until I find it
2) It works if I connect to Wifi networks other than on my Asus, it even works off a hotspot on my phone

Now my next step is to Wireshark it and see what is happening to the DHCP traffic and what the Asus is doing to the DHCP requests my Windows 10 VM is sending to it

But, I am hoping someone on these forums may be able to save me a lot of time if they have experienced this particular issue or have any ideas.

I have looked through all the Web Interface settings and can see nothing which would appear to solve this.

Thanks!

Adrian.

OK, so I looked at the logs and I can see that the Windows 10 VM requests the IP Address, the Asus Offers an IP address.

But no ACK from the Windows 10 VM to say it has accepted the ip address.

Adrian.

Just as a test, try turning the firewall off on your win 10 guest,see if that's interfering with dhcp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nope, no effect.

It works on other Wifi routers without changing any of the settings, so it is the Asus somehow.

Adrian.

Just as a data point, I run VMware Fusion on my MacBook Pro, as well as VMware ESXi on an Intel server. I get IP addresses assigned to both Windows 10 and CentOS and Ubuntu Linux guest VMs without issue. On Fusion, my Windows 10 VM is set to Bridged auto-detect, which gets a DHCP assigned address.

My Mac is running macOS Sierra 10.12.6

My router is an Asus RT-AC68P 380.68.4

John

I have quite a few VMs on my LAN (one Linux and two Windows under VMWare Player on my desktop, and one Windows VM on my NAS under VirtualBox. All of them use Bridged Networking, and are getting DHCP leases from my router.

Have you tried to generate a new mac address on the nic in VMWare Fursion to see if that works for you (back up the old one) and have that new addressed set in your router for receiving a new ip from your dhcp server?

Running multiple Fusion VMs & Virtualbox on Mac (but also on my NAS).

Well, I have no idea what fixed it but I did the following:

Disabled DHCP reservations on Asus
Removed/added NIC on VM
Change MAC Address on VM NIC
Massive Windows 10 updates

It's working now, but I have no idea why and I can't be bothered to Wireshark it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Adrian.

I run VMWare Fusion on my MacBook. I have an Asus 5300 which is on 380.68.4.

On this MacBook I have a Windows 10 VM. When connected to the Asus, the Windows 10 VM does not pick up an IP address if I set the NIC on the VM to autodetect and DHCP.

Probably not enough info for future incidents - with Fusion, the VM runs as an app instance, and the Mac's firewall can get in the way of things there, depending on how the VM is configured.

In the future - include the MacOS version, and the version of VMWare Fusion - some things are known issues.

So I now know what is causing it, just not why.

MacBook, 10.13.1 High Sierra
VMWare 10.0.1 (6754183)

If I assign a DHCP reservation on the Asus, this then causes the VM Windows machine not to obtain an IP address.

As soon as I remove the reservation from the Asus and reboot it, the VM Windows 10 machine happily obtains an IP address.

This has been going on for quite a few months and I know for a fact it used to work on older firmwares as I had this set up for over a year with no problems.

Also, as mentioned, the issue does not occur with the same MacBook and Windows VM on any other network I plug it into, so this leads me to believe the Asus firmware is at fault here.

Adrian.