What's new

Voip PBX and pfsense

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

conradcliff

Occasional Visitor
Hello there!

So, I've recently installed a pfsense router at the Christian non-profit I work for and it seems to be working ok without much configuration.

We have a voip telephone system through a company called Accessline communications that uses an "Xcelerator IP" phone system by Vertical Communications.

The phone system is working but it gave me some problems in the beginning.

What I'm wanting to do is setup QoS on the router and forward all the appropriate ports and what have you but I really don't know what I'm doing and I can't seem to get a reply on the pfsense forum :-/

I have a dedicated NIC in the pfsense box for the voip system but I have no clue how to configure it to give the voip system access to the internet.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative.

As it is right not I just have the voip system plugged into the lan switch, but I would love for it to use it's dedicated NIC.

Thanks for any help!

I dont think you get what he wants, he is using pfsense as his main router and wants to prioritise VOIP over other traffic.

Ive not yet used pfsense but the concept is simple and probably even simpler for pfsense than it is for mikrotik. In the QoS section there should be a protocol for VOIP to select to increase priority otherwise you will need to enter your VOIP provider's gateway and port in the QoS section and set to highest priority.

Priority driven QoS is a lot better than bandwidth. VOIP uses little bandwidth but is latency sensitive, giving it the highest priority and some ensured bandwidth would be best. If you operate 10 phones in the office you should dedicate at least 100 KB/s if you expect your internet to be full at times with other uses.

Make sure you set the QoS rule as a general rule so it works both ways for upload and download. If you can create seperate queues you can set upload for one and download for the other. For QoS to be effective every other traffic must be given a priority too. You can just prioritise VOIP over all other traffic and set all other traffic to a lesser priority or set the priority for some things and leave a specific priority for the rest that isnt identifiable by the router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!