What's new

Volume raid 5 or synology SHR

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spikehome

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I just have a 1511 nas with 5x2TB disks.
And i want to make a volume on it.
Found at the internet that shr used more processor utilization it says 10% the type of nas was not noted.
It was one post so im not sure of it.

So want to know what best for fast file transfer and less processor utilization?

Realy nobody ?

i know how shr works

I had already mail from synology.
They say that raid 5 is a bit faster then SHR.
Here what i got in the mail:
thank you for the inquiry.

Generally speaking, a RAID5 volume will have a slightly higher performance than SHR because of the LVM structure a SHR volume has. Hope this helps.

But my question was also witch one needs more cpu?
Dit not here about that yet.

really does it matter?

they stated raid 5 is slightly faster (which does imply that uses less cpu), however you give up the flexibility of the SHR (which implies uses more cpu).

So more faster, or more flexible.

try one, if you don't like it, try the other.

SHR is similar in concept to Readynas FlexRaid. I would recommend you use SHR even if there is a small performance hit. You will appreciate the flexibility when you decide to increase the size of the RAID, etc..

Isn't Synology's SHR the same as the parity drive approach, such as in unRAID?

Parity drive is slightly slower than RAID5, but can expand more easily.

///
"RAID is not a backup"

Yesterday evening made a raid 5 volume takes all night.
I know that shr is more flexible especially when u want to upgrade disks.
but how many times u will replace disks for bigger once?
or maybe expand with a dx510 but u can use it also with raid5.

Changing afterwards is no option, i will move my data from the qnap to the synology about 4TB.
The qnap will i use for other things.

I just bought the 1812+

With the price of hard drives now I have only bought 3 out of the 8 drives I wanted at 3tb. they are a combination of seagate 3tb xt and the newer 1tb platter ST3000DM001(3tb).

I will buy 5 more 3TB when the time is right.

1. Do you think I should still got SHR path or should I just go straight for Raid 5?

I am actually building the Raid5 array now, it should finish overnight. If I fill this 3 x 3tb up with data and add another 2 x 3tb at the end of next week.

2. Will it take me long to extend the partition with the extra hdd later on?

3. Will it take long to extend the final 3 drives at a later stage when I am ready?

Last edited:
@quacka

i would use shr.
because u want now 3x1tb and install after 5x3tb
raid 5 then only uses (when installed all disks) 8x1TB =(raid5 loss 1disk) 7tb data
shr use (when alls drives installed) 8x1tb(1disk loss) + 5*2tb(1disk loss) = 15tb data

I will have 8 x 3tb in the end though. Not using any 1tb at all.
ah, the u can choose whatever.
shr is a slightly bit slower

I just bought the 1812+

With the price of hard drives now I have only bought 3 out of the 8 drives I wanted at 3tb. they are a combination of seagate 3tb xt and the newer 1tb platter ST3000DM001(3tb).

I will buy 5 more 3TB when the time is right.

1. Do you think I should still got SHR path or should I just go straight for Raid 5?

I am actually building the Raid5 array now, it should finish overnight. If I fill this 3 x 3tb up with data and add another 2 x 3tb at the end of next week.

2. Will it take me long to extend the partition with the extra hdd later on?

3. Will it take long to extend the final 3 drives at a later stage when I am ready?

Base on my experience with 1010+ it takes almost 24 hrs for a single 2TB hdd add on to my SHR 5 with 3 hdd. it sure saves me alot of trouble of copying the data out before rebuilding.

ah, the u can choose whatever.
shr is a slightly bit slower

The performance hit is usually minimal if you are not using it for high traffic hits.

Most of the time i still find the bottle neck is still with the network instead of the CPU utilz

I get my first synology today, a DS411. I will put in 4 x 1.5TB in it. Will there be any problems using SHR and stream movies from it?
Shouldn't be?

I have to ask, so I dont set it up, and then have to change to RAID 5 to get more speed.

//yabbah

I have ordered a DS411 myself just now. I have never owned a NAS before and have never used a RAID system. I have 1x2TB at my disposal right now and also going to add 3x3TB drives of model
"Western Digital Caviar 3TB SATA 6 GB/s 64MB Cache 3.5 inch OEM Internal Hard Drive Green" WD30EZRX
I did read the wiki about SHR but Im not really good at understanding it.

Would I be able to use my 3x3TB together with a 2TB drive in one SHR system together? What is the amount of total storage I would get then on this volume?
I know RAID-5 will remove one drive so if I had 3x3TB I would end up with 2x3TB total storage. How would same example be with SHR 3x3TB and how would it work with my 3x3TB + 1x2TB (if its even possible?)

Second question is about later on exchanging the 2TB to a 3TB. Would I just need to remove the 2TB drive, repair the system and then add the new 3Tb disk and everything would be good with my storage?

Last question is just if anyone knows of any issues with the particular 3TB drive Im looking at. I live in Sweden and we didnt have much choice here on 3TB drives. I feel that I would like a "green" model but Im not sure if thats really suitable in a NAS. Would I get problems with disk power-saving features? It does say they are supported on synologys website and also one user reported that "works fine", But should I just rely on that?

Thanks a lot for any help guys!

I did RAID 5 on my 1511, but I think in hindsight I should have done SHR. While there is a performance hit, it's very slight from what I understand and being a non-work environment, I shouldn't have worried about it. When I expand, I'll probably move the data over and change it to a SHR.

Now I just need to decide if I want to get a DX510 to expand, or for roughly the same amount, after selling my 1511, get an 1812. 3 slots + HW bumps all over, or 5 slots.

I have ordered a DS411 myself just now. I have never owned a NAS before and have never used a RAID system. I have 1x2TB at my disposal right now and also going to add 3x3TB drives of model
"Western Digital Caviar 3TB SATA 6 GB/s 64MB Cache 3.5 inch OEM Internal Hard Drive Green" WD30EZRX
I did read the wiki about SHR but Im not really good at understanding it.

Would I be able to use my 3x3TB together with a 2TB drive in one SHR system together? What is the amount of total storage I would get then on this volume?
I know RAID-5 will remove one drive so if I had 3x3TB I would end up with 2x3TB total storage. How would same example be with SHR 3x3TB and how would it work with my 3x3TB + 1x2TB (if its even possible?)

Second question is about later on exchanging the 2TB to a 3TB. Would I just need to remove the 2TB drive, repair the system and then add the new 3Tb disk and everything would be good with my storage?

Last question is just if anyone knows of any issues with the particular 3TB drive Im looking at. I live in Sweden and we didnt have much choice here on 3TB drives. I feel that I would like a "green" model but Im not sure if thats really suitable in a NAS. Would I get problems with disk power-saving features? It does say they are supported on synologys website and also one user reported that "works fine", But should I just rely on that?

Thanks a lot for any help guys!

Based on my understanding, RAID5 will give you 6TB out of 3x3TB+1x2TB or just 3x3TB (without 2TB). And SHR with 1 drive tolerance will give you 8TB for 3x3TB+1x2TB or 6TB for just 3x3TB (without 2TB)

I have a DS1512+ with 1x1TB+2x1.5TB+2x3TB setup in SHR with 1 drive tolerance. I didn't see much performance drop or high CPU usage. I'm running Video/Audio/iTunes/Download/Cloud/Photo/DHCP/DNS/Web off this NAS and can stream music/video over 3G/LTE smoothly. SHR drive capacity expansion is very smooth as I recently added 2x3TB drives to replace 2x1.5TB. If you choose to use SHR for your setup, make sure that you have at least TWO of the highest capacity drives in your Synology DS/RS to minimize the waste of storage space