What's new

VPN: How to route all cell data to my home router and use its external VPN instead of WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wouldn't trust any paid-for-VPN as much as you seem to be able to. No court orders are needed from someone in as high enough power as you're fearing (government).

If you want to be as invisible as possible, online, you need to stop having your own ISP. You need a 'burner' device that you only use once over a coffee shop's free WiFi, and you need to stop using your 'smartphone' (no matter how 'dumb' the model you use, is).

Anything else is wishful thinking, expensive and just gives you a false sense of security where none exists.

And for your friend, you may trust him. But you have no idea what his ISP is doing, either.
Again my goal is not to be invisible as I completely agree this is impossible. My goal is to add additional hurdles that would deter the average hacker away and prevent sofisticated actors like governments from bulk collection of our data. If everyone used a VPN it would be a huge task if they required court orders to prove probably cause for a large population of people. Again this is a protection of rights issue for me nothing more.

You're assuming protection that doesn't exist.

The average hacker is still a real threat. The government (all of them) just walk all over people's rights, indiscriminately (court order? That's funny).

Protection of rights? Not if it gets in the way of the powers in charge. Look what was enacted for peaceful demonstrations (and nobody official, let alone the Prime Minister, actually talked to them).

Your assuming the US VPN service I subscribed to is just going to divulge everything to the Canadian government just because they have a canadian court order. I'll remind you GiveSendGo refused to oblige to freezing the funds when the court ordered the funds frozen. The VPN company located in the US is under no obligation to comply to the canadian government. The VPN company I choose has clearly stated that they keep no logs or any personal info except my email. They also say that even if they were ordered by law or even hacked for that matter, they would have no info to give even if forced to except my email address. I always run the chance that the company will puss out like GoFundMe but I have confidence they are an ethical company and would not lie to their customers but all I can do is do my due diligence and minimize those risks.

You believe what you need to.

I don't believe any of them.

I think we should end this here.

Yes, please. Whatever you do, don't interfere with what I do. This is all I'm asking for. Thank you!