What's new

VPN Newbie Question - Remote Wan Access with IP Masking and Encryption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marcm

New Around Here
Hi all,
I've done some searching on the forums but came up empty (maybe I do not even know what to search for!). I have a T-Mo branded (AC1900) Asus RT68U router. I have setup the VPN server with OVPN and can connect remotely from my devices.

I have signed up with VPN Unlimited and have setup on the router VPN client side with several of theVPN U servers. The firmware allows only 1 to OVPN client, the rest are L2TP. All working fine.

I would like to be able to connect remotely from internet cafe, work, or just when using my android phone on cellular, and connect through my home Lan with the VPN Unlimited service to have remote traffic IP/DNS masked and data encrypted. As it is now if I enable a VPN U client on the router I cannot connect remotely. Is there a way to configure the Asus OVPN service so that I can connect remotely while the router is also running my VPN Unlimited service on the client side?

Do I need a 2 router setup to do this?

Do I need to setup a VPNS on a lan machine to do this?

Is there a guide for this anywhere?

I know, after searching the web, that if there is a way to do it then this is the forum to find it.

Thanks........Marc

Last edited:
Are you only using OpenVPN?

I'm unfamiliar with VPN Unlimited, but some VPN providers limit the number of simultaneous L2TP connections to 1 per account while allowing 3-5 simultaneous OpenVPN connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the router only allows 1 OVPN client I use that for the VPN Unlimited streaming server (accepted by Netflix, etc.) The rest including their servers that permit P2P are L2TP.