What's new

VPN offload to a dedicated PC in LAN ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Green_Goblin

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm currently have a DD-WRT router bought for around £150 as well as 50mb fibre optic internet. When I don't use a VPN I get full speed of 6.1/6.5mbps when I download any file. However, when I'm on the VPN I get between ~10mb and ~15mb and around 650kbps or 1.1mbps when downloading any file.

As you can see this is quite bad and I don't get the full speed that I'm currently pay for. I know that in my case encryption and processor in the said router are limiting my speeds a lot. I was thinking about getting a better setup for my VPN and either go with PFSense or VPN offloading which would be more suitable for me.

A few members on this forum have recommended to do a VPN offloading to a dedicated PC inside the LAN which would off load the gateway router/AP devices and I could achieve higher speeds. I just don't know where to start. I have been given this link: https://openvpn.net/software-packages but I'm confused and don't understand much. It would be great if someone could push me into the right direction.

I also have two PC's collecting a dust:

1) Full Desktop with AMD Athlon II x2 250, 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD.
2) Mini PC (ACEPC AK1 Pro) with Intel Celeron J3455, 4GB of RAM, 32GB EMMC and 128GB SSD.

Would the Mini PC be suitable for what I want to do or should I go with full desktop pc since I would need to get LAN NIC as well ?

Any help is appreciated.
Green_Goblin

Hi,

I'm currently have a DD-WRT router bought for around £150 as well as 50mb fibre optic internet. When I don't use a VPN I get full speed of 6.1/6.5mbps when I download any file. However, when I'm on the VPN I get between ~10mb and ~15mb and around 650kbps or 1.1mbps when downloading any file.

As you can see this is quite bad and I don't get the full speed that I'm currently pay for. I know that in my case encryption and processor in the said router are limiting my speeds a lot. I was thinking about getting a better setup for my VPN and either go with PFSense or VPN offloading which would be more suitable for me.

A few members on this forum have recommended to do a VPN offloading to a dedicated PC inside the LAN which would off load the gateway router/AP devices and I could achieve higher speeds. I just don't know where to start. I have been given this link: https://openvpn.net/software-packages but I'm confused and don't understand much. It would be great if someone could push me into the right direction.

I also have two PC's collecting a dust:

1) Full Desktop with AMD Athlon II x2 250, 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD.
2) Mini PC (ACEPC AK1 Pro) with Intel Celeron J3455, 4GB of RAM, 32GB EMMC and 128GB SSD.

Would the Mini PC be suitable for what I want to do or should I go with full desktop pc since I would need to get LAN NIC as well ?

Any help is appreciated.
Green_Goblin
You will need to research the CPUs in those PCs to see if they support AES-NI. If so, they are good candidates for converting to a pfSense appliance to get improved VPN performance.

Sabai technology makes a VPN accelerator you attach to the main router to improve VPN speed. See the links in the article
https://x3mtek.com/router-firmware-supported-by-torguard/

You will need to research the CPUs in those PCs to see if they support AES-NI. If so, they are good candidates for converting to a pfSense appliance to get improved VPN performance.

or just make a box a VPN server - the router doesn't need to be the VPN gateway...