What's new

VPN on RT-N66U in Bridge Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smithkid

Occasional Visitor
I would like to recommission my N66U as a secondary router with openvpn but in bridge mode and just connect my xbox's and TV's (hard wired) and let all other devices connect to the primary router so they get max bandwidth.
Primary router is TL-ER5120. I have merlin on the ASUS. Is this possible or am I just dreaming.

The router needs to be in Router mode for VPN to work (I'm pretty sure).

Leave the secondary router in the router mode and double NAT it behind the primary router.

I ran that type of setup with my VPN router double NATed behind the primary problem with no issues and unmeasurable by any means that I had reduction in bandwidth, more than what you give up by using a VPN.

Leave the secondary router in the router mode and double NAT it behind the primary router.

I ran that type of setup with my VPN router double NATed behind the primary problem with no issues and unmeasurable by any means that I had reduction in bandwidth, more than what you give up by using a VPN.
So the second router must be in router mode and I assume connected to the first router via the WAN port to a LAN port on the first router. So then I assume I give the second router a fixed IP in the networks range. If it's in router mode and NATing then won't that cause problems with any device connected to it or do I have some port forward rules in the first device to pass traffic through to the devices connected to the secondary (VPN) router!?

So the second router must be in router mode and I assume connected to the first router via the WAN port to a LAN port on the first router. So then I assume I give the second router a fixed IP in the networks range. If it's in router mode and NATing then won't that cause problems with any device connected to it or do I have some port forward rules in the first device to pass traffic through to the devices connected to the secondary (VPN) router!?

If your primary router is 192.168.1.1 then you could set the WAN IP of the double NATed router as 192.168.1.2.

Set the second router to assign DHCP in a different subnet. The LAN IP of the router could be 192.168.2.1 and the DHCP range could be 192.168.2.100 - 150.

Lots of possibilities but the example above will work.

If your primary router is 192.168.1.1 then you could set the WAN IP of the double NATed router as 192.168.1.2.

Thank you. I have internet access via the second router when I let the wizard set it up. Under "LAN DHCP Server" the wizard leaves the default Gateway blank and also DNS servers blank. Should I leave these blank?

Next is to set up VPN with merlin!

Last edited:
Thank you. I have internet access via the second router when I let the wizard set it up. Under "LAN DHCP Server" the wizard leaves the default Gateway blank and also DNS servers blank. Should I leave these blank?

Next is to set up VPN with merlin!
Yes leave those blank.