What's new

VPN on Separate Wifi Network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Toot4fun

Occasional Visitor
Good morning-

I'm looking into adding a VPN service to my router (running 380.62_1), which seems easy enough. However, I'm a Time Warner Cable subscriber and I use the TWC app on my Roku devices to watch TV without the need for a cable box. My understanding is that TWC will limit the content that's available to you if you're connecting from an IP that's not on their network. If I configure VPN on my router, all of my traffic will go through the VPN service, not get an IP from TWC, and the result will be blocked content from TWC.

Is it possible to configure a separate wifi network (SSID: homewifi_novpn, for example) that bypasses the VPN service, but have everything that's connected to my "regular" wifi (SSID: homewifi) go through VPN? I'll add that I already have a guest network (SSID: homewifi_guest) just in case this is a factor.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, but the bottom line is that I need a way to get my Roku devices around the VPN service.

Thanks!!

You could use 'Redirect Internet Traffic' -> 'Policy Rules' in the VPN Client config page, instead of 'All Traffic'.
Then add the IPs of the devices you want to be routed out the VPN; devices (IPs) not on the list should be routed out the WAN interface.
You may also want to assign manually IPs for your devices under the DHCP Server, for easy of routing management.

This looks like it could be exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a way to make this opt out instead of opt in? That is, can I have all traffic default to the VPN and only those in the list use the WAN? Right now, I have two entries in the list, both for my Rokus, and both set with "WAN" for Iface. Will this configuration by its nature make every other device going through my router use VPN?

Thanks!