What's new

VPN on Synology DS412+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hellion

New Around Here
Has anyone managed to successfully setup an OpenVPN client on the DS412+? I would love to do it, but I tried and failed miserably, there seems to be very few options that a common user can set in the DSM?

Help much appreciated :)

Has anyone managed to successfully setup an OpenVPN client on the DS412+? I would love to do it, but I tried and failed miserably, there seems to be very few options that a common user can set in the DSM?

Help much appreciated :)

It's fairly simple mostly because there are very few options for the end user. Basically you turn it on, pick your VPN subnet (i.e. 10.8.0.0), and that is all there is on the Synology side. You need to forward the correct TCP and UDP ports TCP 443, TCP 943, UDP 1194 through your firewall.

One thing they don't do for you, and it's annoying, is assign an address in the openvpn.ovpn file. If you edit it with any text editor, you'll see a line

Code:
remote YOUR_SERVER_IP 1194

Make sure it is changed to your WAN Ip or DNS. For example:

Code:
remote home.mydomain.com 1194

Once that is done you just need to import the configuration into your client(s).