What's new

VPN Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nick McCulloch

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
I am using a VPN provider (PrivateVPN) but am noticing that VPN recovery isnt too good if the tunnel disconnects.
What are the best VPNs around (at reasonable cost) that you would recommend?
I dont want to block internet access if the tunnel drops (wife would go crazy!!).
Nick

I had private internet access and they were ok but speeds kind of slowed down for some reason. I was getting fast speeds on an AC3100 then suddenly they dropped to 50mbps so I moved. I am on astrill now because they have a nice plugin for merlin-wrt with it's own gui tab for convenience and an optimized for openvpn setup, nice although not necessary I found I could achieve the same thing or similar with the right custom config settings. The addon is nice though and I have gotten full speed before on their connection although usually its around 80% of rated line speed.

Hi everyone,
I am using a VPN provider (PrivateVPN) but am noticing that VPN recovery isnt too good if the tunnel disconnects.
I dont want to block internet access if the tunnel drops (wife would go crazy!!).
Nick

With an open VPN client on Merlin you have the option to block or not block routed clients if the tunnel goes down. If it works correctly and it does for me using StrongVPN, that if your VPN disconnects every client stays connected to the Internet without VPN protection. The downside is that if you are concerned about VPN security you need to check every so often to be sure that your VPN tunnel is up.

My suggestions already posted here - along with another discussion on this topic - just two months ago...

Hi everyone,
Nick
I second Astrill. Its really fast and their applet works very well. However I'm on 50 mbps and can get about 30 ish most of the times. I know its the provider throttling the speeds on vpn but I haven't been able to find a comparable vpn provider to break the 30 mbps limit. Not to mention netflix etc works well on astrill.

Does perfect-privacy have an applet for merlin like astrill? the openvpn connections without router pro of astrill is slow from here.
The speed via OpenVPN is dependent on the CPU speed of your router (overclocking helps!) and not if a applet is available or not... :rolleyes:

I always use the Android/Router .ovpn config files from the VPN provider and things are working very well and fast on my smartphones and routers! :cool:

So the correct question is: Does the provider give you .ovpn configs for Android or Routers? ;)

The speed via OpenVPN is dependent on the CPU speed of your router (overclocking helps!) and not if a applet is available or not... :rolleyes:

I always use the Android/Router .ovpn config files from the VPN provider and things are working very well and fast on my smartphones and routers! :cool:

So the correct question is: Does the provider give you .ovpn configs for Android or Routers? ;)

The router is Asus AC5300, It is very capable of achieving good speeds. With astrill they had a server that yielded full 50 mbps but that server went offline and others don't come close to those speeds. If I use the direct openvpn file, the speeds are much slower. Astrill uses its own form of optimization over the openvpn files to achieve those speeds which is why they charge extra 5 bucks a month for router pro/stealth. IT works on tcp 443.

hope this is clear