What's new

VPN router behind ISP router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theatricalmayhem

New Around Here
Hi,

My setup is as follows:

ISP router -> various computers 192.168.1.1, zxytel t-50
Lan->Wan
VPN Router,->Smart TV 192.168.2.1, Asus N66U

I am trying to get a openvpn client running on the asus router, but I keeep geetin routing IP issues preventing connection.
I have gotten a GL.iNet running the openVPN client behind the t-50 so I know it's possible without changing t-50 settings.

Can someone give me a rundown of the proper Lan and Wan settings for the Asus to get it to play nice with the t-50. I would continue with the GL.iNet but it doesn't have the clock speed for the 4k TV I so cleverly upgraded to. I am aware the N66U might not either but I want to check before I go and by something new.

The firmware you're running and the ISP speeds you're paying for are also important to note here.

The easiest way for you to test is to plug in the RT-N66U to your ISP's router and test it there.

Otherwise, you will have to forward ports on the Zyxel T-50 to allow the double NAT'd RT-N66U to 'see' the internet.

You need to double NAT your VPN router behind your ISP router. It will work fine.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 270
Double NAT worked well. Unfortunately, N66U isn't fast enough so I went and bought an AX55. Hopefully this will be enough. Thanks much!

Yes the N66 does top out at about 20 Mbps for a VPN client. I don't know what processor speed the AX55 has but with a faster processor you can expect about 60 Mbps. For even faster speeds you need a processor that supports AES-NI then speeds over 200 Mbps are possible when using a client on a router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!