What's new

VPN servers destinations in a scheduled config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

San

New Around Here
I have a little situation where my ISP start throttling and messing with the DL bandwidth even with VPN UP so I need to change destinations every 2 to 4 days.

so wondering if any of you has an idea how to setup a schedule where I can define 3 to 5 different destinations using the same client config and switch between them every 3 o 4 days.

any help really appreciated I have been using Merlinf software for wuite some time I do have AC87, AC3100 adn AC3200

I have a little situation where my ISP start throttling and messing with the DL bandwidth even with VPN UP so I need to change destinations every 2 to 4 days.

so wondering if any of you has an idea how to setup a schedule where I can define 3 to 5 different destinations using the same client config and switch between them every 3 o 4 days.

any help really appreciated I have been using Merlinf software for wuite some time I do have AC87, AC3100 adn AC3200
Swap ISP,s

You can include several 'connection profiles' in the VPN Client GUI (if you set 'Log verbosity=4' in the GUI you can see them displayed in Syslog)

e.g. specify a list of remote VPN server/port entries, that will be randomly chosen:
Code:
remote-random

remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx nnn
etc.
and simply schedule cron to issue
Code:
service restart_vpnclientX
where 'X' is the appropriate VPN Client.

Alternatively you could try VPN Failover Monitor

You can include several 'connection profiles' in the VPN Client GUI (if you set 'Log verbosity=4' in the GUI you can see them displayed in Syslog)

e.g. specify a list of remote VPN server/port entries, that will be randomly chosen:
Code:
remote-random

etc.
and simply schedule cron to issue
Code:
service restart_vpnclientX
where 'X' is the appropriate VPN Client.

Alternatively you could try VPN Failover Monitor
I like this idea, but my main concern is about speed,... I guess I'll just have to take the time and try each .ovpn file I have until I find the servers that are the fastest (perhaps closest) to me.

I really wish NordVPN would provide a list of servers by State here in the US...
All I have to go on are the .ovpn files they provide that begin with "us" ...

Thank you so much!

I like this idea, but my main concern is about speed,

I guess I'll just have to take the time and try each .ovpn file I have until I find the servers that are the fastest (perhaps closest) to me.
That is why (if you are using RMerlin's firmware) I suggested the VPN Failover Monitor script, so that it would try to ensure the current connected VPN server meets your minimum throughput/performance criteria, and would automatically switch to the next server in the defined VPN_Failover list if the speed is unacceptable.

Swap ISP,s

Totally agree, I can get why some ISP want to shape/limit usage for abuse, but purposefully throttling VPN is just being to cheap. With the extra expense on VPN, surely you have some option for a better ISP?

That is why (if you are using RMerlin's firmware) I suggested the VPN Failover Monitor script, so that it would try to ensure the current connected VPN server meets your minimum throughput/performance criteria, and would automatically switch to the next server in the defined VPN_Failover list if the speed is unacceptable.

So I'm assuming the script installed,...but,... what am I missing here? ie. "not found" ??

Capture.png

So I'm assuming the script installed,...but,... what am I missing here? ie. "not found" ??

Capture.png

As there is no alias for 'VPN_Failover.sh' if you are in directory '/jffs/scripts/' then use
Code:
./VPN_Failover.sh
otherwise use the full pathname
Code:
/jffs/scripts/VPN_Failover.sh
'

Is there a quick command to stop the script in its tracks?

And thank you so much for your help!!
If you are not using the recommended 'openvpn-event' scripts, then for a graceful termination
Code:
rm /tmp/vpnclientX-VPNFailover"
where "X" is the VPN ID e.g. 1, 2 etc.
or
in an emergency (i.e. leaves behind orphaned ' /tmp/vpnclientX-VPNFailover' file)
Code:
kill -9 $(pidof VPN_Failover.sh)

Last edited:
What can be done with said orphan?? Can you rm it after you've had to kill it??
You can run the 'status' command
Code:
./VPN_Failover.sh   status
then issue the 'reset' command
Code:
./VPN_Failover.sh   reset   X
where 'X' is the VPN ID i.e. 1,2 etc.

I'm talking about the '' /tmp/vpnclientX-VPNFailover' file'... if I have to terminate the script and then this orphan is made, what do I need to do with the orphan??