What's new

VPN user, what Router should i get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hitman

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I currently have my commercial VPN client setup and running on my Qnap 453 pro NAS and my lan machines configured to use the NAS/VPN connection as a temp measure but I now have some cash for a proper wireless router with VPN capability but i'm unsure which router to get?

Previously I have used Asus routers, last one was the AC68U for my BT 80/20 connection with an OR modem but BT sent me a HH5 router/modem as part of my line fixes I had 6 months ago and so sold on the 68U.

Now i'm looking at either setting my HH5 as a modem only (can this be done?) and adding a wireless router or removing the HH altogether and using my original OR HG612 v3 modem with the router.

So I've been looking at either the Asus AC56U or AC87U routers or the NG R8000 and need one that will give the best VPN and wireless performance, is there any other routers I should be looking at or would just the AC56U suffice and give the same performances as the others as they're all dual core anyway?

Thanks for any input/help with this!

Last edited:
I have the same question, basically.

I like the thought of a dual wan capable router that can run the newer more secure OpenVPN. I am currently running OpenVPN on a Tomato build from 3 years ago in the RT-N12 however this is OLD stuff and suffers from the Heartbleed problem. I do use DH keys that minimize the issue. The Tomato build of course does not do Dual WAN which is a necessity to replace my aging and failing Draytek.

While I own several RT-N16 boxes the newer builds of AsusMerlin dual wan to not support OpenVPN due to low memory , I am lead to believe.

I also don't want to get stuck with "end of life/end of support" issues in a year either so would a more recent box be prudent? or will the RT-AC56U be supported as long as one of the newer ones?

Last edited:
I've been delving into this a bit and i'm also using OpenVPN, still unsure if I should get the all singing all dancing model as it could be OTT for my needs :/

I've got enough for a AC3200, but the AC56 appeals even though it's an older model it's currently at a great price and same main hardware as the AC68 apart from the slightly lower wireless performance, I like Asus especially with the forum support available and Merlins firmware.

I'm a bit put off getting the AC68 again due to it running quite hot with similar reports and maybe the AC87 does too?

Just to to update, I've gone with the AC56U, which seems the best bang for buck, should have it Monday.

Cheers.