What's new

VPN with Apple devices (eventually others too)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bondbear

New Around Here
Hello!

Looking for advice. I need to setup a VPN so that I can access an iMac desktop from the road. I take my MacBook Pro when traveling.

It's only a single iMac desktop for now so I was thinking a VPN service initially but since I may eventually get more PC besides the iMac, I was wondering what is a recommended VPN router (possibly that has wireless access point also) that has a solid Mac VPN client?

Thank you for the help!
Bob

Bummer I think after rereading that article it refers to "Lion to anything" and not "non-Lion to anything" as it is iCloud-based.

Perhaps until I can invest in upgrading the hardware I need to temporary look at hosted VPN such as Logmein Hamachi.

I read other threads on the Cisco's RV series but didn't get warm feeling on an otherwise affordable priced equipment such as their RV180w. Also couldn't pinpoint the exact challenges I might encounter when using OSX clients.

I also read the review of TP-Link 6020 (which I think there's a newer 6120 out) but if it is not future-proof (IPv6) and also if I augment with AP then not being able to keep guest network separate might not be good.

Sigh, I wish it was easier!

Bob

Hey Bob,

If you do not mind leaving your iMac running, then these guys have a killer solution for Apple users:

GreenWorldSoft

VPN Server for Mac OSX

Total cost $9

They also have a great youTube demo video.

Mike