VPN with Apple devices (eventually others too)

Discussion in 'VPN' started by bondbear, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bondbear

bondbear New Around Here

Hello!

Looking for advice. I need to setup a VPN so that I can access an iMac desktop from the road. I take my MacBook Pro when traveling.

It's only a single iMac desktop for now so I was thinking a VPN service initially but since I may eventually get more PC besides the iMac, I was wondering what is a recommended VPN router (possibly that has wireless access point also) that has a solid Mac VPN client?

Thank you for the help!
    Bob

2. bondbear

bondbear New Around Here

3. bondbear

bondbear New Around Here

Bummer I think after rereading that article it refers to "Lion to anything" and not "non-Lion to anything" as it is iCloud-based.

Perhaps until I can invest in upgrading the hardware I need to temporary look at hosted VPN such as Logmein Hamachi.

I read other threads on the Cisco's RV series but didn't get warm feeling on an otherwise affordable priced equipment such as their RV180w. Also couldn't pinpoint the exact challenges I might encounter when using OSX clients.

I also read the review of TP-Link 6020 (which I think there's a newer 6120 out) but if it is not future-proof (IPv6) and also if I augment with AP then not being able to keep guest network separate might not be good.

Sigh, I wish it was easier!

Bob

4. Big$$s

Big$$s New Around Here

Hey Bob,

If you do not mind leaving your iMac running, then these guys have a killer solution for Apple users:

GreenWorldSoft

VPN Server for Mac OSX

Total cost $9

They also have a great youTube demo video.

Mike