What's new

vpnmgr vpnmgr - Manage and update VPN Client configurations for NordVPN and PIA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN provider do you use?

• Total voters
Can anyone guide me on how to fix this, please? I've had to reset the router and when I reinstall this script, I get the same issue- country data failed to download.

Can I download the country data file manually and copy it somehwere?

Any help is greatly apprecaited.
you need to fix why your router can't access the URL I gave you (from the router itself, not a client). even if you manually put the file in the right place each time vpnmgr goes to check it you'll see a failure message

I've only got 1 VPN client running and the kill switch is enabled. I've done a test and while doing an update, it is leaking my ISP IP before updating to a new VPN IP.

It would be good if this could check if the kill switch is enabled and block connections while doing an update.

Last edited:
you need to fix why your router can't access the URL I gave you (from the router itself, not a client). even if you manually put the file in the right place each time vpnmgr goes to check it you'll see a failure message
I'm not sure how to go about figuring that out. I thought Skynet or Diversion or Unbound may be blocking access to the link you provided @Jack Yaz

I removed all the scripts keeping only amtm+entware installed and tried reinstalling this script and I get the same error.

I'm not sure why a client (a computer connected to the router) would be able to access the link, but be blocked by the router.

I'm not sure how to go about figuring that out. I thought Skynet or Diversion or Unbound may be blocking access to the link you provided @Jack Yaz

I removed all the scripts keeping only amtm+entware installed and tried reinstalling this script and I get the same error.

I'm not sure why a client (a computer connected to the router) would be able to access the link, but be blocked by the router.
i'd start by comparing the output of nslookup of the nordvpn address on the router vs a client where it works, e.g. nslookup api.nordvpn.com

i'd start by comparing the output of nslookup of the nordvpn address on the router vs a client where it works, e.g. nslookup api.nordvpn.com
Ran nslookup api.nordvpn.com on the router and I got this:
Capture.PNG

Checked DNS record on client and I got this:
Capture2.PNG

Oddly enough, I just tried installing the script again and this time it downloaded the country data.

The two things that changed are:

1.) Installed a custom script to force Unbound through VPN using this guide: Unbound through VPN
- which seems to have messed up something as I get "Segmentation fault" when running Unbound and also when trying to install this script​

2.) Changed DNS server on the WAN page from OpenDNS to Google

Will be resetting the router soon. Will report back if I continue to run into more issues.

Thanks for your help @Jack Yaz

BTW, similar to your script, YazDHCP are you planning on creating a similar script for VPN director to export/import rules?

Ran nslookup api.nordvpn.com on the router and I got this:
View attachment 36140

Checked DNS record on client and I got this:
View attachment 36141

Oddly enough, I just tried installing the script again and this time it downloaded the country data.

The two things that changed are:

1.) Installed a custom script to force Unbound through VPN using this guide: Unbound through VPN
- which seems to have messed up something as I get "Segmentation fault" when running Unbound and also when trying to install this script​

2.) Changed DNS server on the WAN page from OpenDNS to Google

Will be resetting the router soon. Will report back if I continue to run into more issues.

Thanks for your help @Jack Yaz

BTW, similar to your script, YazDHCP are you planning on creating a similar script for VPN director to export/import rules?
I'm also running vpnmgr with the unbound policy rules script and it works perfectly.

Hopefully it'll work properly for you once you've fixed the Segmentation fault (Update/reinstall Entware).

I am running vpnmgr and it seems to be working like it should, but I noticed at the top of the GUI page, Version Information is listed as N/A. Is this normal, or is something wrong with my installation?

I am running vpnmgr and it seems to be working like it should, but I noticed at the top of the GUI page, Version Information is listed as N/A. Is this normal, or is something wrong with my installation?
Ssh into vpnmgr and just force update the vpmmgr by using "uf".

This should fix the N/A issue.

Mine doesn't seem to be working right now for some reason. Every time I change server, either manually or automatically (scheduled), it won't change to the new server IP until I manually turn the VPN client off and back on, it used to change automatically.

I've tried a force update and an reinstall, but it's still doing the same. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Mine doesn't seem to be working right now for some reason. Every time I change server, either manually or automatically (scheduled), it won't change to the new server IP until I manually turn the VPN client off and back on, it used to change automatically.

I've tried a force update and an reinstall, but it's still doing the same. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
is the client set to start on boot? if so, vpnmgr should be automatically restarting the client when it updates it

Thank you, @Jack Yaz for the great add-on! I'm a recent ExpressVPN -> NordVPN convert, and happened to run into your tool searching for optimized NordVPN parameters. I had one question, possibly a feature request?

- I noticed you have the option of picking a country and a city. I was assuming if the city remained blank, that it might randomly choose one if it remained unselected, but have found it uses some other kind of method to possibly find the closest servers near you after it does its recycle routine? I always seem to end up in the same city, with a different server # at times.

- I would like to find a way to randomly cycle through any possible exit point/city throughout the US... I had that working semi-automatedly with ExpressVPN using the remote-random function in the script, and letting it choose a random US server when the script recycled. Is this possible to do through vpnmgr? If so, would you consider a feature request to allow you to randomize exit point cities instead of what it's doing now?

Thanks!

Thank you, @Jack Yaz for the great add-on! I'm a recent ExpressVPN -> NordVPN convert, and happened to run into your tool searching for optimized NordVPN parameters. I had one question, possibly a feature request?

- I noticed you have the option of picking a country and a city. I was assuming if the city remained blank, that it might randomly choose one if it remained unselected, but have found it uses some other kind of method to possibly find the closest servers near you after it does its recycle routine? I always seem to end up in the same city, with a different server # at times.

- I would like to find a way to randomly cycle through any possible exit point/city throughout the US... I had that working semi-automatedly with ExpressVPN using the remote-random function in the script, and letting it choose a random US server when the script recycled. Is this possible to do through vpnmgr? If so, would you consider a feature request to allow you to randomize exit point cities instead of what it's doing now?

Thanks!
I think this is the recommended server by NordVPN based on their smart algorithm from this page:

I'm running vpnmgr on my Asus RT-AC5300 running firmware Version: 386.4
I have always had a NordVPN subscription and connected without any problems for a while now.
My NordVPN subscription ended and I opted for PIA VPN because it was in the vpnmgr script.

I set up my PIA vpn account info in vpnmgr and it connects for a minute and then disconnects then reconnects constantly.
I tried various servers and different settings TCP/UDP/ Standard/Strong but it keeps connecting and disconnecting.
Any clues on why this is happening?

I'm running vpnmgr on my Asus RT-AC5300 running firmware Version: 386.4
I have always had a NordVPN subscription and connected without any problems for a while now.
My NordVPN subscription ended and I opted for PIA VPN because it was in the vpnmgr script.

I set up my PIA vpn account info in vpnmgr and it connects for a minute and then disconnects then reconnects constantly.
I tried various servers and different settings TCP/UDP/ Standard/Strong but it keeps connecting and disconnecting.
Any clues on why this is happening?
Do you see any errors in your system log?

I'm not sure what to look for here is my log file. Thank you @jackyaz

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    147.6 KB · Views: 80
I'm not sure what to look for here is my log file. Thank you @jackyaz
Looks like something, possibly wanduck, keeps restarting your WAN
Code:
 rc_service: waitting "restart_wan_line 0" via wanduck ...
if you turn off the VPN, are you seeing "internet disconnected" on the homepage of the router?

Looks like something, possibly wanduck, keeps restarting your WAN
Code:
rc_service: waitting "restart_wan_line 0" via wanduck ...
if you turn off the VPN, are you seeing "internet disconnected" on the homepage of the router?
Yeah, I stopped the VPN and it seems to be connecting and disconnecting the internet anyway even with the VPN completely removed.
I just updated to the new firmware when I started using PIA. Could this be the problem?
Here is my syslog
Should I go back to the previous firmware?

Attachments

• syslog (1).txt
    17 KB · Views: 81

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!