What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R3 v1.3.3 -Apr 2, 2024- Monitor WAN/Dual-WAN/VPN Health & Reset Multiple OpenVPN Connections (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You could try adjusting the dig command to dig +short A whoami.akamai.net @"$(netstat -nlp 2>/dev/null | awk '/.*(unbound){1}.*/{split($4, ip_addr, ":");if(substr($4,11) !~ /.*953.*/)print ip_addr[1];if(substr($4,11) !~ /.*953.*/)exit}')" -p "$(netstat -nlp 2>/dev/null | awk '/.*(unbound){1}.*/{if(substr($4,11) !~ /.*953.*/)print substr($4,11);if(substr($4,11) !~ /.*953.*/)exit}')" 2>/dev/null)"

Just place all that after the &&.

But I dont think it will help if they got rid of their legacy endpoints. This is something NordVPN chose to do and nothing you have control over.
I mean... I don't think it will make a difference. Even while everything is up and running/configured, Unbound can't even resolve anything for me. Like it's getting blocked.

Well, I've approached NordVPN support on both the API and Unbound/DNS resolution failure questions...

Their answer on the APIs: "Unfortunately, we cannot provide any information on whether APIs will ever be available again."

Now we're going back and forth on the DNS resolution issue, and going down their support script that literally takes days to get through, and always ends in disappointment. Currently on the question: "As for the DNS issue, could you specify what operating system are you using with our service?"

Small maintenance release today to shore up some optimizations, and include some language about the Unbound/NordVPN issue!

What's new?
v1.2.3 - (March 8, 2024)
- PATCH:
Change to the logic for switching back and forth between the number of available slots. Will now recreate the vr3timers.txt and vr3clients.txt, as they were not being refreshed when different selections were being made. General fixes and optimizations made as being found and identified.
- PATCH: Added verbiage in the Unbound integration configuration menu item to give a visual warning that as of Mar 1 2024, the NordVPN service no longer works with the Unbound integration due to some apparent blocking on their end. Hopefully at some point in the future, we can remove this and carry on with Nord.

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/VPNMON-R3):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R3/main/vpnmon-r3.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r3.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r3.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

Added the WARNING verbiage for anyone wanting to attempt the Unbound integration with NordVPN. Hopefully they'll realize the error of their ways, and we can continue to use NordVPN this way. Remains to be seen, and chances are slim.
1709912474995.png

@Ventola @glehel ... good news! NordVPN has acknowledged the problem... They are "working on a fix", but "do not have a fix" ... yet. So at least that's promising. Here's what I received from support:

---
We would like to note that we are currently aware of the issue you are currently experiencing on your router and are already working on a fix.

However, we currently do not have a fix for this issue. As soon as we have more information or a solution to the issue, we will get back to you.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.
---

In response, I offered to help them test their fix when they're ready... if I get any info on that, I'll be sure to pass it along so you can verify from your ends as well.

Last edited:
Triple treat today... new version of VPNMON-R3 that now features AMTM Email Notification options, with many thanks to @Martinski and @thelonelycoder for bringing this capability to our scripts! :)

What's new?
v1.3.1 - (March 16, 2024)
- MINOR:
AMTM Email Notification capabilities have been added thanks to @Martinski's shared email functions library that he has made available. Once AMTM email (AMTM->em) has been configured, you can activate this feature in VPNMON-R3. You have the ability to distinguish between receiving either success, failures or both types of emails as it pertains to your WAN/VPN connectivity. An operations menu item has also been added to quickly enable/disable this feature when needed.
- PATCH: Minor logic correction to a function that determined max server ping would every so often run into issues with the info it got back from the ping command, and would display invalid operand errors.

Download links (or update directly within AMTM/VPNMON-R3):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R3/main/vpnmon-r3.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r3.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r3.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

AMTM Email Notifications can be accessed from the Operations Menu by hitting "I"
1710600739107.png

You can also access it here through the config menu, option #8:
1710600841339.png

And here's the detail on the setup for this item. Please note, AMTM Email must already be configured and tested within AMTM before enabling it in VPNMON-R3! This menu also allows you to send a quick Test email, to make sure everything is in working order!
1710600781702.png

Last edited:
I've got the Unknown Operand back again with the latest version....

Code:
[: 0: unknown operand
[: 1: unknown operand
  Operations Menu
  Reset/Reconnect VPN 1:(1) 2:(2)                        (C)onfiguration Menu / Main Setup Menu
  Stop/Unmonitor  VPN 1:(!) 2:(@)                        (R)eset VPN CRON Time Scheduler: 01:00
  Enable/Disable (M)onitored VPN Slots                   (L)og Viewer / Trim Log Size (rows): 2000
  Update/Maintain (V)PN Server Lists                     (A)utostart VPNMON-R3 on Reboot: Enabled
  Edit/R(U)n Server List Automation                      (T)imer VPN Check Loop Interval: 30sec
  AMTM Email Not(I)fications: Disabled                   (P)ing Maximum Before Reset in ms: 500ms

I've got the Unknown Operand back again with the latest version....

Code:
  Operations Menu
  Reset/Reconnect VPN 1:(1) 2:(2)                        (C)onfiguration Menu / Main Setup Menu
  Stop/Unmonitor  VPN 1:(!) 2:(@)                        (R)eset VPN CRON Time Scheduler: 01:00
  Enable/Disable (M)onitored VPN Slots                   (L)og Viewer / Trim Log Size (rows): 2000
  Update/Maintain (V)PN Server Lists                     (A)utostart VPNMON-R3 on Reboot: Enabled
  Edit/R(U)n Server List Automation                      (T)imer VPN Check Loop Interval: 30sec
  AMTM Email Not(I)fications: Disabled                   (P)ing Maximum Before Reset in ms: 500ms

Hate those errors! ;). Are they sporadic or continuous?

EDIT: @TITAN ... try downloading and updating the same version and see if that fixes the error for you?

Last edited:
Hate those errors! ;). Are they sporadic or continuous?

EDIT: @TITAN ... try downloading and updating the same version and see if that fixes the error for you?
I'm starting to think you put these Easter Eggs in here just for me 😉

I tried all the usual things - reinstall, reboot etc and they persist
Always happy to send you logs etc, just let me know what you need :)

I'm starting to think you put these Easter Eggs in here just for me 😉

I tried all the usual things - reinstall, reboot etc and they persist
Always happy to send you logs etc, just let me know what you need :)
Please try downloading it again, and overwriting the script with the same version... Hope to have it resolved now. For some reason your router complains about this stuff while others don't :( Just goes to show not all routers are singing off the same sheet of music! :)

Code:

Last edited:
I kinda feel left out now. I always seemed to have those 'unknown operand' errors when others including @TITAN reported them. No such luck today 😁

Please try downloading it again, and overwriting the script with the same version... Hope to have it resolved now.
That seems to have done the trick 😉 (FYI, I installed this version and the message was still there, but a reboot made it disappear)
For some reason your router complains about this stuff while others don't :(
Maybe mine is the 'Special Edition' 🤣
Just goes to show not all routers are singing off the same sheet of music! :)
Indeed! It must be a bit of a headache every time you release an update and wonder 'Will TITAN get the unknown operand message or not?"
I kinda feel left out now. I always seemed to have those 'unknown operand' errors when others including @TITAN reported them. No such luck today 😁
The have escaped me this time, but I'd be more than happy to share some of mine with you next time 😄

That seems to have done the trick 😉 (FYI, I installed this version and the message was still there, but a reboot made it disappear)
Wow, a reboot? Really strange...
Maybe mine is the 'Special Edition' 🤣

Indeed! It must be a bit of a headache every time you release an update and wonder 'Will TITAN get the unknown operand message or not?"

The have escaped me this time, but I'd be more than happy to share some of mine with you next time 😄
;) These dang operand errors are always on my mind... because sometimes they make no sense. Especially between routers running the same FW. Who knows, perhaps it's some entware addon or library that got installed long ago that's messing with things... who knows. If you start seeing other symptoms, definitely should start looking at a fresh start one of these times! :)

Did anyone else's VPN connection suddenly stop working with Nord? Mine doesn't work anymore as of today.

Could it be related to what's discussed here?

Did anyone else's VPN connection suddenly stop working with Nord? Mine doesn't work anymore as of today.
If you're using an old CURL statement to write servers to one of your VPN client slots in VPNMON-R3, then it may be coming back with zero/null. But there's a fix for that. Let us know what you're seeing on your end, what you're using, etc.

But Nord seems to be working fine for me today (US servers)...