What's new

WAN address Local IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
Starting sometime last Friday AM my WAN address(es) assigned by my ISP became local IP. One router (RT-AC68U) connected to one of the four ports on the modem became 192.168.0.2 while the other router (RT-N66U) became 192.168.0.3. I also connected a PC directly to the modem and its "wan" address became 192.168.0.4

Despite these local addresses, WAN access worked fine however my Apache server was no longer accessible from remote locations.

When I use the Asus "Dynamic Domain Name System" to register my domain name I get an error indicating a local IP cannot be used. No surprise there. When I use the no-ip service, it assigns a WAN address something like 64.1.120.12 which appears to be similar to wan addresses I had previously from this ISP. This address however is always unreachable.

Has anyone ever heard of ISP assigning a local IP? If so, is there a way around this so I can access my apache server from remote location??

Has anyone ever heard of ISP assigning a local IP? If so, is there a way around this so I can access my apache server from remote location??
What you're describing sounds like a perfectly normal setup when you're connecting to an ISP-supplied modem/router combo. If you had previously been getting non-local addresses from it then it must have been configured in some sort of bridging mode. It might have gone back to it factory defaults, perhaps your ISP pushed out a firmware update to it. Either way, you should contact your ISP about it.

Can only take educated guesses here... if your modem has 4 ports, it might be a "router/gateway" and not just a "modem." (The make/model of the router plugged into some google searches would reveal that answer.)

It sounds like you're describing that it used to work fine, but suddenly overnight changed. If so, it's possible that you used to have the "modem/router/gateway" configured in bridge mode, and something caused it to revert to gateway mode.

This happens fairly frequently with comcast "gateway" devices when comcast pushes a firmware update (and is one reason why so many comcast customers want to replace the carrier provided gateway with their own retailed purchased modem.)

My advice to you: Use google to determine if your modem is a gateway/router/modem and if so, how to put it into bridge mode.

Edit: wow.. I just repeated what the poster previous to me said. I should have read further before replying..

Yup, thats what it is/was... The folks at Eastlink offered my wife 6 months free TV which she accepted. Unbeknownst to us it also changed our internet plan and they modified the modem settings. I have tried to set it back to bridge mode but the minute it reboots it reverts back to gateway. Guess I'll have to wait till weekday and give customer service folks scathing feedback on what I think of their upgrade :)

Modem: Arris SBG6580
FW: 8.9.0.0-GA-05-062-NOSH

Can only take educated guesses here... if your modem has 4 ports, it might be a "router/gateway" and not just a "modem." (The make/model of the router plugged into some google searches would reveal that answer.)

It sounds like you're describing that it used to work fine, but suddenly overnight changed. If so, it's possible that you used to have the "modem/router/gateway" configured in bridge mode, and something caused it to revert to gateway mode.

This happens fairly frequently with comcast "gateway" devices when comcast pushes a firmware update (and is one reason why so many comcast customers want to replace the carrier provided gateway with their own retailed purchased modem.)

My advice to you: Use google to determine if your modem is a gateway/router/modem and if so, how to put it into bridge mode.

Edit: wow.. I just repeated what the poster previous to me said. I should have read further before replying..

If one has a carrier provided Residential Gateway (e.g. Modem/Router/AP), then they manage it, and can change the configuration at any time - which goes right with a rateplan/contract change that OP mentions...

And for most folks, that's probably ok, unless they're doing things that are outside of the scope of carrier managed services - which OP also ran in to - if he checks his TOS with the operator, he's likely not allowed to run a server, so if the operator changes things - too bad...

to whit, I own my Cable Modem, I don't rent it, but since it's attached to my ISP (Cox HSI), they control the firmware and configuration of the modem, which I have little control over (and quite literally, as I don't have a viable alternative for broadband).

This is is what makes triple-plays - e.g. dial-time, TV, and Broadband - a pain - as then one is truly bound to the provider...

Over the past few months - I've been able to get away from that - DBS for TV, Cable for Broadband, and dial-tone is actually over wireless (ATT Wireless Home Phone, which is amazing, BTW)

I was in concurrent opinion with you, and providing some additional insight...
Oh. Sorry, I'm a bit distracted at the moment with C code. I need a better editor on this damn freebsd VM. "nano" just doesn't hack it for writing code. I wonder how long it'd take for my old emacs keystroke memory to return (and how badly it'd screw me up at work.) (I'd use vi, but that would REALLY screw me up at work.)

Oh. Sorry, I'm a bit distracted at the moment with C code. I need a better editor on this damn freebsd VM. "nano" just doesn't hack it for writing code. I wonder how long it'd take for my old emacs keystroke memory to return (and how badly it'd screw me up at work.) (I'd use vi, but that would REALLY screw me up at work.)

That's ok - don't know if you're Windows or Mac - but BBEdit (and TextWrangler, the free version) is great on Mac and my main goto, and on Windows, I'm a big fan at the moment for MS Visual Studio Code (free for download, and quite powerful) -- and VS Code is also on Mac, BTW... it ties nicely into Git and is very extensible - probably the finest SW I've seen out of Redmond in quite some time...

That's ok - don't know if you're Windows or Mac -
At the moment, freeBSD. I just found this:
Code:
sudo pkg install emacs
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Updating database digests format: 100%
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'emacs' have been found in the repositories
That might be a good thing. It's in ports, but if I got too far back into emacs, I might never come back out again... and this little project of mine isn't worth a full blown emacs install. I'll just suffer with nano or use vi.

At the moment, freeBSD. I just found this:
Code:
sudo pkg install emacs
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Updating database digests format: 100%
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'emacs' have been found in the repositories
That might be a good thing. It's in ports, but if I got too far back into emacs, I might never come back out again... and this little project of mine isn't worth a full blown emacs install. I'll just suffer with nano or use vi.

Code:
sfx@blaster:~$ sudo apt list emacs
Listing... Done
emacs/xenial,xenial 46.1 all

It's in the repo's :D

I tend to fall on the side of the VIM if I'm on the shell - emacs is very powerful, but in a pinch, vim is more than enough ;)

I do most of my primary work on the Mac, and that's where BBEdit excels... SlickEdit on Windows is pretty similar in that regards.

The MS stuff - nice since it's cross platform, and flexible - like BBEdit and SlickEdit, a true coders tool...

apt? I'm not in linux... I'm working with freeBSD this evening. My way of dealing with limitations is to write new code or modify old code. BTW, it's MUCH nicer dealing with ipv6 in un*x environments when compared to Windows.

apt? I'm not in linux... I'm working with freeBSD this evening. My way of dealing with limitations is to write new code or modify old code. BTW, it's MUCH nicer dealing with ipv6 in un*x environments when compared to Windows.

FreeBSD and Emacs...

$ pkg_add -r emacs

Or if you're not in a GUI environment, you can install emacs without the X11 dependencies...

$ pkg_add -r emacs-nox11

I still prefer VIM, but that's me ;)