What's new

WAN Aggregation Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zakalwe

Occasional Visitor
I use my own router as modem with my Plusnet fiber connection, and it only has 1 ethernet port on ONT connected to the fiber line outside, would I have to use the plusnet modem, put it in modem only mode, and then I'd be able to use WAN Aggregation? Or is it not gonna work?

Thanks

If your router has a 1g Wan port and a 2.5g Ethernet port that can be used as a wan port you can use those ports as wan loadbalence/fallback or use wan/2.5g + usb dongle. You setup your ont modem however you normally would. Wan load balance/fallback requires two separate internet wan connections it’s not like LAN aggregation LACP. So you don’t use it to plug into two ports of the same isp modem/router.

Thanks for the explanation. It's an AX86UP so it has the 1g wan and 2x 2.5g lan ports. (I am assuming the wan is 1g)

Your AX86U has a single 2.5GbE port configurable as WAN or LAN. The default configuration is LAN. You don't need WAN Aggregation. In case your ISP plan is >Gigabit what you need is ISP equipment with 2.5GbE port connected to your router's 2.5GbE port used as WAN. This way you can get aggregate wired + wireless traffic >Gigabit.

Your AX86U has a single 2.5GbE port configurable as WAN or LAN. The default configuration is LAN. You don't need WAN Aggregation. In case your ISP plan is >Gigabit what you need is ISP equipment with 2.5GbE port connected to your router's 2.5GbE port used as WAN. This way you can get aggregate wired + wireless traffic >Gigabit.
@Tech9 or Anyone else:
I have a question (may seem dumb to you- sorry):
I currently have an AX88U router (using Merlin), which only has a 1 GB WAN port. Meanwhile, my 'Rogers' XB8 Modem (in Bridge mode) has a 2.5 GB port and 3x1 GB ports. I am on a 1.5 GB plan (why? because 500 MB in my household is not enough and next level offered is 1.5 GB).
So to get the 1.5 GB bandwidth, can I do the following (given the modem could not support WAN aggregation via Bridge mode - at least I think):

1. Connect one ethernet cat 6 cord to the Modem's 2.5 GB port.
2. Use an ethernet splitter, then run each of the two other cat 6 ethernet cords from the splitter to ports 1 and 4 on the router (I believe).
3. Finally turn on WAN aggregation on the router.

Would this work?

If not, either I buy a AX88U_pro (has 2.5 GB WAN ports) OR I just live with the '500 MB' loss and be content with 1GB.

Last edited:
What is an Ethernet 'splitter'? I'm pretty sure that won't work.

On the other hand, the RT-AX88U Pro is an exact fit for your needs. And the best way to re-use that old RT-AX88U would be as a Media Bridge to any of your remote, wired-capable devices.

Do not save a config file on your existing router and import it into the new one. Known reliability/performance killer.

If anyone ever suggests using one of these a "ethernet" splitter. They are uneducated because these do not work. Ethernet is not analog!
Screenshot 2024-04-10 172713.png

You want a unmanaged or managed Ethernet switch if you need additional ports. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00N0OHEMA?tag=smallncom-20

Switches with LAG/AGG are managed switches.

If you need one in 2.5Gbase-T, 5Gbase-T or 10Gbase-T then they are more expensive then simply a standard 1000Gbps port.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 173417.png

He might mean a Ethernet Coupler which is used to attach two finished Ethernet cables together to extend the length.? These work. But I'm not sure if this was what he meant.

Last edited:
AX88u - I use WAN AGG, but my Modem has 2 x 1g ethernet ports and supports WAN AGG. I use the WAN AGG side of my AX88u and get slightly more than 1g throughput. Normally a 1g WAN on AX88u would result in just under 950mb, but by using this I can get the nearly full 1.2g throughput of my Comcast service. I doubt very seriously if you could use a splitter on the 2.5g out of the modem to 2x 1g input on the AX88u. There are protocols required to merge the signal that would be absent. If you get it working please do let us know. I also have a 2.5g out modem, but haven't wanted to spring for a new router if I can max my pipe with the older AX88u.

edit: Does your modem have an option to add a USB3.x ethernet port and use that as a second port for Link AGG?

AX88u - I use WAN AGG, but my Modem has 2 x 1g ethernet ports and supports WAN AGG. I use the WAN AGG side of my AX88u and get slightly more than 1g throughput. Normally a 1g WAN on AX88u would result in just under 950mb, but by using this I can get the nearly full 1.2g throughput of my Comcast service. I doubt very seriously if you could use a splitter on the 2.5g out of the modem to 2x 1g input on the AX88u. There are protocols required to merge the signal that would be absent. If you get it working please do let us know. I also have a 2.5g out modem, but haven't wanted to spring for a new router if I can max my pipe with the older AX88u.
Ain't gonna work. Not without a middle machine that can do LAG/AGG. The choices really are have a router/managed switch that properly supports everything. Or have a 'computer' running OPNsense/Pfsense or any Linux to handle routing. This would work by the machine either having a x2 2.5g NIC or a x2 1g link LAG/AGG + 1 2.5g NIC. However you want to do it depending on your situation, then you plug the second NIC into the x2 1g link LAG/AGG of the router you currently own and it handles your wireless AP's and any 1000Base-T connections on your routers 4 ports. Basically the middle machine will let you add on 2.5G NIC's where your router can't.

At least in this scenario the middle machine can be a reused low power pc which is likely 100 times faster then any residential purchased router and can do things like IDS, firewall; or adblocking using pihole, or other similar applications.

Edit: if you have a additional USB port for WAN AGG that might work, but will only benefit wireless devices. Ethernet will still be limited to 1000Base-T unless using LAG on port 1&2. which tops at 2000 Gbps.

Last edited:
If anyone ever suggests using one of these a "ethernet" splitter. They are uneducated because these do not work. Ethernet is not analog! View attachment 57879

You want a unmanaged or managed Ethernet switch if you need additional ports. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00N0OHEMA?tag=smallncom-20

Switches with LAG/AGG are managed switches.

If you need one in 2.5Gbase-T, 5Gbase-T or 10Gbase-T then they are more expensive then simply a standard 1000Gbps port.

View attachment 57880

He might mean a Ethernet Coupler which is used to attach two finished Ethernet cables together to extend the length.? These work. But I'm not sure if this was what he meant.
Thx for your reply. I only mentioned an ethernet splitter via a description of what is can do via a google search. My goal was to see if I could avoid buying a new router as my ax88u is capped at 1 GB. After reading all the comments in this thread, it looks like the most economical way is to buy a ax88u_pro and perhaps mesh the ax88u as an AP to improve wifi coverage.

edit: Does your modem have an option to add a USB3.x ethernet port and use that as a second port for Link AGG?
There is an usb-c port but as the firmware is owned by rogers and it is in bridge mode, the port does not seem to be active, or at least I cannot see how I can use. FYI, it is the technicolor XB8 model (if you wish to google). It is too bad I cannot use it as a router as it does seem pretty powerful. The firmware is missing key functions that asus merlin has like DNS privacy (cannot use a 3rd party nor DOT), cannot configure firewall, cannot use extra scripts that amtm provides, etc.

@Tech9 or Anyone else:
I have a question (may seem dumb to you- sorry):
I currently have an AX88U router (using Merlin), which only has a 1 GB WAN port. Meanwhile, my 'Rogers' XB8 Modem (in Bridge mode) has a 2.5 GB port and 3x1 GB ports. I am on a 1.5 GB plan (why? because 500 MB in my household is not enough and next level offered is 1.5 GB).
So to get the 1.5 GB bandwidth, can I do the following (given the modem could not support WAN aggregation via Bridge mode - at least I think):

1. Connect one ethernet cat 6 cord to the Modem's 2.5 GB port.
2. Use an ethernet splitter, then run each of the two other cat 6 ethernet cords from the splitter to ports 1 and 4 on the router (I believe).
3. Finally turn on WAN aggregation on the router.

Would this work?

If not, either I buy a AX88U_pro (has 2.5 GB WAN ports) OR I just live with the '500 MB' loss and be content with 1GB.
You need to see if your modem and your router support link aggregation group or port bonding. In the case of my MB8600 modem I run two Ethernet cables from the modem. One to the WAN port on my AX86S and another to LAN port 4 giving my what the router what it then considers a 2 Gbps connection.

Check out what the capabilities of your current hardware is before replacing it. On the MB8600 port bonding as an option wasn't obvious as Motorola hides the additional Ethernet ports to avoid people inadvertently using them.

With LAG or port bonding (or whatever else it may be called), none will give you a 2Gbps connection from any single device. It may be in aggregate (with two or more devices downloading simultaneously), but any single device will be limited to 1Gbps.

With LAG or port bonding (or whatever else it may be called), none will give you a 2Gbps connection from any single device. It may be in aggregate (with two or more devices downloading simultaneously), but any single device will be limited to 1Gbps.
I think what the OP wanted is to have additional bandwidth to be shared between all users since 500 Mbps wasn't sufficient and he upgraded to 1.5 Gbps and with his current router not having a 2.5 Gbps WAN port all they would get is 1 Gbps however if port bonding is a possibility with current equipment than they could utilize the entire 1.5 Gbps between all users.

No use spending money if the current equipment can solve the current problem they are trying to solve.

it looks like the most economical way is to buy a ax88u_pro

The most economical way is to continue using your RT-AX88U. The new router won't give you 1.5Gbps to your existing clients, unless you have a wired client with 2.5GbE NIC or you rely on aggregate throughput wired + wireless. This new RT-AX88U Pro won't improve your Internet experience much. Your wireless throughput will be still around 800Mbps (up to, non-DFS range, close to the router) to AX clients and your wired clients with Gigabit NIC will still get around 940Mbps. You already have this.

Unfortunately it’s a mixture of bottlenecks, ports, and router cpu. To hit 1.5Gbps I’d be looking into commercial grade routers and access points like ubiquity or building one yourself. Residential grade equipment is unfortunately too weak. Your going to get diminishing returns on a high investment of replacing your network. No guarantees your line actually support 1.5G, sometimes ISPs false advertise their speed or is only supported in some areas. They considering these higher speed burst speeds or as a best case scenario if all the stars in hardware aline and they the isp isn’t bottlenecked from all the other customers watching Netflix.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!