What's new

WAN speed drops on Asus RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

siddharta

New Around Here
Hi
My WAN speeds on Asus RT-AC68U (fw Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66_4) drops to 20-50% after ca 1 hr use. I'm on a 200 Mbit/s fiber connection with a 5e cable (I've tried other 5e cables). If I measure the speed directly from the fiber I get 100+% connection speed at the same time it's 20-50% through the router.

If I restart the router it's back to 100+%. I have made a factory reset, cleared the nvram and reformatted the jffs to no avail. After ca an hour the speed drops to 20-50%. On stock firmware, 3.0.0.4.380.7378, it's the same result.

Any ideas besides getting a new router?

Thanks

You're talking wireless or wired?
The reason I'm asking: wireless can have a number of reasons to drop the speed after a while.
Wired, though, there should be no reasons!
I'm using 3.0.0.4.380.7378 and there's no chronicle issue with the speed. It gets my 360mbps no matter what, even wireless, as long as the channels I'm using are clear in 5GHz.
What apps do you have active on router? Disable/uninstall all apps you're using and test. If you're using Trendmicro ones...well...it's debatable how useful they are vs the cpu load they add. How about keeping&using a single computer and test it? It may be one of your computer has a virus and after a while of being online it start to do its job and affect NAT resources?

Don't read me as a fun-boy, I'm just another user impressed by a good old 68U. After so many years, for a 2x2 wireless router, it does work perfect! It can't handle many apps, but other than that...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!