What's new

Want to use Asus as internal OpenVPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Madnutter

New Around Here
Hi, wondering if this is possible.

I want to segregate certain devices to operate over VPN and was hoping I could use my AC68 to do so, without it becoming the main Internet Router (even to act as a repeater would be sufficient, but Open VPN facility not available in that mode, makes no sense really)

I was hoping the AC68 could sit behind my ISP Router and act as the OpenVPN client with the required devices connect directly to that unit.

I have set up the OpenVPN client but unable to make a VPN connection. Using the same OpenVPN file say on a PC it makes the connection so not sure what I am missing or whether I cannot use the AC68 like this?

Not much of a networking guy but could manual routing be an option?

Any help appreciated.

thanks in advance
M

Post the content of the System Log after a failed connection attempt.

What you want to do is straight forward and has worked for me using all version's of Merlin's firmware on an N66, AC68 and now on an AC86.

Double NAT your AC68 behind your ISP's router and then set up your VPN client on it as you would normally do if it was directly connected to the Internet. No need for port forwarding, putting it in the DMZ.

OK, not sure how to enable my ISP Router (Virgin Hub3 (UK)) to enable NAT but looking into it to see if the option is actually available.
As for Logs - I can't get out to the web on the AC68 yet trying to figure that one out.

Currently set the AC68 WAN port to a Static IP of 10.1 and GW of 0.1 to that of the ISP router but still can't see to get out to the web at the moment.. maybe i'll get the setup right in an hour or two!!

The default on the ISP router is most always NAT. You don't have to touch it.

Start off by setting the WAN NAT on your router to automatic. Once you have everything working you can set up a static IP.

Attached are instruction for double NAT setup.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 275
OK, getting somewhere now.

Initially, I reverted to ASUSWRT and it straight away managed to connect to the internet as I had it set up. But anyway reverted back to the Merlin version and now have configured it as per suggested document, but as the unit is now running its own DHCP server and I am unable to connect to the internet when connected directly to the LAN ports of the AC68.

So connecting directly to the AC68 will pick up an IP of 10.xxx. I configured the GW to initially be that of the LAN IP but that wasn't giving me any headway with Google, DNS configured. What am I missing?

The VPN is connecting as well, so that is great - just the clients unable to go out

Spoke too soon, kind of...

Basically, trying to get my IPTV to operate behind the VPN. For some reason, my MAG box isn't picking up the GW, using DHCP but even if i place a manual config it still errors.

I have seen a tab for IPTV but when tested it bypassed the AC68 DHCP and picked an IP from the ISP router??

Any ideas how i can get the IPTV to run through the VPN setup?

Thanks
M