What's new

Way Too Many Pop-up Ads!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
Last 3 or so days... Way Too Many Pop-up Ads!!!

Pop-up on on first page
Pop-up after reading a thread then clicking browser's back button taking me to main page
Pop-up on some of the forum threads.

I know the ad revenue is important. But this is over the top to the point where I'm not inclined to suffer the pop-ups.

Which browser are you using?

Use the adblock method that is appropriate.

Last 3 or so days... Way Too Many Pop-up Ads!!!

Pop-up on on first page
Pop-up after reading a thread then clicking browser's back button taking me to main page
Pop-up on some of the forum threads.

I know the ad revenue is important. But this is over the top to the point where I'm not inclined to suffer the pop-ups.
Steve, I asked you to email or PM me with these complaints. I need details to get them taken care of.

Browser, OS, the ad company name. Screenshots help.

Steve, I asked you to email or PM me with these complaints. I need details to get them taken care of.

Browser, OS, the ad company name. Screenshots help.
Sorry, I didn't see your request.

Browser Firefox 27.0 (latest)
Several nights, each time I hit back button to go to http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php, I get the same pop-up. Not happening right now, of course. The pop-up is predominately salesforce.com as I recall.

This all began about 3-4 days ago.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll get it taken care of. Sorry for the hassle.

Great.
Pop-up mania is not happening today (Monday)
Glad to hear that. But the ad partner said they could not duplicate the behavior.

They did ask if your browser is set to block cookies.

It's back again tonight.
6 page views, 5 ads.
Then almost every page change, another.
100% of the time a new pop-up (random ad) when going to the main page.

Too much to tolerate tonight. I'll try tomorrow.
Same: Firefox, Win 7 Home Prem/64 bit.

No other web site I go to does this.
None I frequent slam pop-up ads in front, except rotten sites like CNN or FoxNews.

A few examples enclosed, with URLs.
If getting an ad pop-up were my batting score, I'd be hitting 800.

Attachments

• Capture.1JPG.jpg
    Capture.1JPG.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 328
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 305
  • Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 571
  • Capture4.jpg
    Capture4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 338
It's back again tonight.
6 page views, 5 ads.
Then almost every page change, another.
100% of the time a new pop-up (random ad) when going to the main page.

Too much to tolerate tonight. I'll try tomorrow.
Same: Firefox, Win 7 Home Prem/64 bit.

No other web site I go to does this.
None I frequent slam pop-up ads in front, except rotten sites like CNN or FoxNews.

A few examples enclosed, with URLs.
If getting an ad pop-up were my batting score, I'd be hitting 800.

You sure you don't have some virus and / or malware? I've disabled popup blocking and adblock but don't see any sort of popup from this site.

This is on Linux Mint 16 and Firefox Aurora (29a2).

No virus.
Problem was there in spades several days ago as reported here. Then gone for 2 or so days. Then back.

smallnetbuilder.com is the only site with this high pop-up rate. Like most, I visit a lot of sites daily - forums, news, weather, etc. and don't have this pop-up problem severity on those sites.

As I write this, after 11PM PT, the pop-ups are gone. Nothing changed here. Maybe time of day vs. ad schedule?

Earlier, I tried this experiment: Simply hit browser refresh button while on the URL for the main page. Of 5 refreshes, 5 pop-ups.

Last edited:
I am seeing the same thing this morning. It was better yesterday, but back again this morning. Seeing the same ads on Chrome and Windows 7.

Steve and Captain,
Sorry for the problems. They are not intentional.

Frequency for those ads is supposed to be once per day per user.
What are your browser cookie settings?

I am on the site constantly with FireFox and hardly ever see these ads. I have FF set to not accept 3rd party cookies. Don't know if that is the trick, but you could try.

I just changed my FF "Accept Third Party Cookies" browser setting from "Never" to "Always" and immediately got three "welcome" ads in a row. But none after that.

I am following up with my ad partner, but in the meantime, change your browser settings if they aren't already in that mode. 3rd party cookies are usually from ads networks anyway.

Thank you for the attention to this.
There is some reason that only smallnetbuilder.com slams all these pop-ups.
Hopefully this cures the SNB-unique problem. Do IE users experience the same?

I changed FireFox's options from the defaults, as you suggested. First time in all these years I've had to rummage around in FF to find such. I spent quite a while looking for the 3rd party cookie setting. Didn't find it. Then FF's help revealed it's under "history" (pop-up ads aren't "tracking" are they?). I have FF's default: block pop-ups.
See enclosed screen grab from FF; shows I've taken your suggestion.
see also: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-third-party-cookies?esab=a&s=3rd+party+cookies&r=2&as=s

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
There is some reason that only smallnetbuilder.com slams all these pop-ups.
There are many tech sites that use "welcome" ads. We use an overlay style. Other sites divert you to a separate page first and hold you there for 15 seconds or so unless you click through.

Browser pop-up settings don't work because these are technically not pop-ups. Those use a different technique.

We have serving rules in place for this type of ad that should limit them to one per day per visitor. The problem is that there are multiple campaigns running now from different vendors. The rule is being obeyed, but with four campaigns you'll get four ads in a row. You should NOT get more than four. If you are, you have a different problem.

I have asked an additional rule to be put into place that limits the ads to one per hour from any advertiser. So if you are on the site long enough, or come back frequently, you will get all the ads. During a typical visit, you should see one at most.

If you don't want the ads at all, change the cookie settings as suggested.

As to why we use these types of ads, it's because they are very high paying, in some cases up to 10x normal display advertising. When they function properly, they should be a minimal hassle.

If more people would buy things from Amazon, maybe I could reduce dependence on ads. But that's not happening, so I still need to rely on ads to pay the bills.

There are many tech sites that use "welcome" ads. We use an overlay style. Other sites divert you to a separate page first and hold you there for 15 seconds or so unless you click through.

Browser pop-up settings don't work because these are technically not pop-ups. Those use a different technique.

We have serving rules in place for this type of ad that should limit them to one per day per visitor. The problem is that there are multiple campaigns running now from different vendors. The rule is being obeyed, but with four campaigns you'll get four ads in a row. You should NOT get more than four. If you are, you have a different problem.

I have asked an additional rule to be put into place that limits the ads to one per hour from any advertiser. So if you are on the site long enough, or come back frequently, you will get all the ads. During a typical visit, you should see one at most.

If you don't want the ads at all, change the cookie settings as suggested.

As to why we use these types of ads, it's because they are very high paying, in some cases up to 10x normal display advertising. When they function properly, they should be a minimal hassle.

If more people would buy things from Amazon, maybe I could reduce dependence on ads. But that's not happening, so I still need to rely on ads to pay the bills.

I know. Gotta pay the light bills.
I do reiterate that SNB's pop-up ads are (were?) in a league of their own in frequency.

I contend that this is unreasonable:
...but with four campaigns you'll get four ads in a row. You should NOT get more than four.
Obviously, four campaigns should run sequentially, not in time-parallel for the user.

Amazon: I buy only low value items from Amazon because they are a fulfillment company and you never know who the seller really is, what country they're in, etc. Our household does buy mostly books, consumables and piddly stuff from Amazon. Stuff that I don't mind not-getting.

Major tech purchases are almost exclusively Newegg. They're great. And fast. And customer-friendly on RMAs.

SNB's work to constrain the ad-tigers is appreciated.

Last edited:
I know. Gotta pay the light bills.
I do reiterate that SNB's pop-up ads are (were?) in a league of their own in frequency.
And I reiterate, Steve, that was not by design.

Amazon: I buy only low value items from Amazon because they are a fulfillment company and you never know who the seller really is, what country they're in, etc. I do buy mostly books, consumables and piddly stuff from Amazon. Stuff that I don't mind not-getting.
Well, for the stuff you do buy from Amazon, it helps if you hit any Amazon link on SNB first. That way, SNB will get a commission on whatever you buy.

Major tech purchases are almost exclusively Newegg. They're great. And fast. And customer-friendly on RMAs.
I investigated Newegg's affiliate program. Their commission rate is far below Amazon's.

And I reiterate, Steve, that was not by design.

Well, for the stuff you do buy from Amazon, it helps if you hit any Amazon link on SNB first. That way, SNB will get a commission on whatever you buy.

I investigated Newegg's affiliate program. Their commission rate is far below Amazon's.

Can't you do both? Especially when people post links to either site here.

I have seen forums automatically insert affiliate reference to links posted by users.

I will try to use Amazon through SNB. I'm just chump change though.

I've spent thousands on Newegg though. Perhaps the net income for larger $ sales at lower commission tips the scale.
But that's just me.

Thanks for trying to keep the ad pop-ups reasonable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!