What's new

WD My Cloud Antivirus, any good?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wutikorn

Has anyone tried testing how effective is WD Antivirus Essential yet? I wonder whether I still need to scan the hard drive like once a month with Bitdefender or not. I'm not sure how effective would the free antivirus be. Will it be like Windows defender?

I have long used free Microsoft's Security Essentials (MSE) In win 10, it has a new marketing name.
I trust it. It has caught some bad stuff in downloads and on web sites.

Who more than Microsoft wants to and can protect their OS?

My NAS has a malware checker too, but I don't use it. My PCs have MSE. My router doesn't open ports. Not sure I need the overhead of an AV/malware checker on the NAS.

I heard someone in other forum saying that why would you trust the company that create buggy software to provide you good protection. Moreover, from https://www.av-test.org/en/award/2014/. Microsoft Security Essential protection score is way too low to be compared with others. But I never test it myself either. How about WD Antivirus Essential? Is it any good?

WD is reselling that. Best to find out what it really is.

MSE has done well for me for many years, many PCs.

I suffered McAffe where I work. Awful.
And Norton. Good then awful in later years.
A few freeware ones. Caveat emptor.

WD makes good disk drives.

I have long used free Microsoft's Security Essentials (MSE) In win 10, it has a new marketing name.
I trust it. It has caught some bad stuff in downloads and on web sites.

My NAS has a malware checker too, but I don't use it. My PCs have MSE. My router doesn't open ports. Not sure I need the overhead of an AV/malware checker on the NAS.

MS Security Essentials - it is what I use in Windows, works very well... with Win8/10, it's Windows Defender. MS purchased Sybari some years back (Antigen) which they rebranded the consumer as MSE, the enterprise products were branded as Forefront...

(work uses McAfee, which is a bit of a hit on system performance).

On my NAS, I use ClamAV, which is also fairly effective.

MS Security Essentials - it is what I use in Windows, works very well... with Win8/10, it's Windows Defender. MS purchased Sybari some years back (Antigen) which they rebranded the consumer as MSE, the enterprise products were branded as Forefront...

(work uses McAfee, which is a bit of a hit on system performance).

On my NAS, I use ClamAV, which is also fairly effective.
Can I add ClamAV on WD My Cloud DL2100? Or can I only add WD Antivirus Essential?

Last edited:

Whoever is actually making you pay yearly for their product? :)

Microsoft's security software is rather barebone, with a pretty average detection rate of new malwares. As I always say, you get what you pay for...

As I always say, you get what you pay for...
I pretty much agree with that. So do you know about WD Antivirus Essential protection performance?

I pretty much agree with that. So do you know about WD Antivirus Essential protection performance?

I have no idea what engine their software is based on, sorry.

I have no idea what engine their software is based on, sorry.
It would be great if someone in SmallNetBuilder test it, they have a very good team which provides very detailed information.

It would be great if someone in SmallNetBuilder test it, they have a very good team which provides very detailed information.

Based on a quick Google search, this is nothing more than the open source ClamAV which got a marketing name wrapped around it. Nothing to see there really, many other NASes out there already use ClamAV.

Here's the download, with the filename revealing what's in it: URL: http://download.wdc.com/apps/WDMyCloudEX2/AntivirusEssentials/WDMyCloudEX2_clamAV_1.12.bin

Based on a quick Google search, this is nothing more than the open source ClamAV which got a marketing name wrapped around it. Nothing to see there really, many other NASes out there already use ClamAV.

Here's the download, with the filename revealing what's in it: URL: http://download.wdc.com/apps/WDMyCloudEX2/AntivirusEssentials/WDMyCloudEX2_clamAV_1.12.bin
Thanks a lot, so I will just have to search fro ClamAV protection performance rather than unique WD Antivirus Essential

The serious cynics say that a few AV makers implant viruses to their own benefit.
Like the olden days when the gas station attendant cut your fan belt.

Over the top, but, well.

The serious cynics say that a few AV makers implant viruses to their own benefit.

Over the top, but, well.
Do u know about ClamAV? Whether they implant viruses or not? What benefits would they get in that case?

Do u know about ClamAV? Whether they implant viruses or not? What benefits would they get in that case?
Because they are open source, not for profit? (as are other AV products).
My comment was semi-tongue-in-cheek!

(curious footnote on clamAV's web site's pages ... "© 2004 - 2015 Cisco and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. | Privacy Policy")
Maybe that's just the web server?

Last edited:
Properly testing AV and malware protection is beyond our capability. Sorry.

(curious footnote on clamAV's web site's pages ... "© 2004 - 2015 Cisco and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. | Privacy Policy")
Where does it say about CalmAV in the link u showed?

Over the top, but, well.

Wouldn't be talking about this would you?

;)

Most NAS vendors provide some type of Antivirus - as I mentioned earlier, ClamAV is more than sufficient.

Cisco now owns them.

I just realized how Cisco is quietly acquiring a lot of similar "open" projects lately... OpenDNS, ClamAV, Snort (these last two through their acquisition of Sourcefire), etc...