What's new

WD My Cloud EX2 or Cloud Mirror Gen 2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xxnonamexx

Occasional Visitor
I am looking to purchase my first NAS server. Not looking to spend too much money. I currently have external SSD and HDD. I was hoping to purchase a NAS server to my router to negate having a PC running all the time. I would like it to stream my videos, photos using Plex and backup storage. I have had my external drives crash in the past and had to recover data which is why I need them to backup. I like the My Cloud EX2 which is about $350. Whats your thoughts suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:
What is everyones take on WD NAS servers?
NO on WD NAS. NO on Seagate NAS.
YES on QNAP or Synology

The Forum owner usually disagrees, but this has to do with ads.
Users of these two companies are happy, reading forum here.

Been using a WD live for years. Works fine and very easy remote access

Would wd work for me in my other post as an inexpensive alternative to qnap synology? With third party app what's wrong with the os

What is everyones take on WD NAS servers?

As a starter NAS, they're not bad... WD's shared drives are decent, might consider cross-shopping Seagate's solutions...

Might outgrow it after a while, as your needs expand, and there... QNAP, Synology, ReadyNAS, AsusStor, Thecus - they'll be around if/when you need it.

SteveCH is a Synology user, has had very good luck with them, and their implementation works well with his workflow...

I'm a QNAP kind of person, and I've been happy with mine...

My Synology choice made 2-3 years ago, was also influenced by their good customer phone support out of San Jose, CA.
But QNAP and Synology are ever more jockying for 1st place in home/SOHO/SMB NAS.
Opinion-observation: WD, Seagate, Netgear, Buffalo, etc., sell NASes by buying shelf space at retailers, not by being best of breed.

I understand the QNAP and Synology are top of the crop. They are pricier options as well. I am looking to backup my 2TB external drive onto a NAS to access my movies, photos etc. via Plex so if WD can allow me to do those 2 tasks what is the downfall to those WD units?

I understand the QNAP and Synology are top of the crop. They are pricier options as well. I am looking to backup my 2TB external drive onto a NAS to access my movies, photos etc. via Plex so if WD can allow me to do those 2 tasks what is the downfall to those WD units?
If your needs are simple and a WD does what you need it to do, buy it. Why pay for features you don't use?

I just want to make sure the WD isn't missing something the QNAP/SYnology has that I would need. Whats the major downsides.

Last edited:
I just want to make sure the WD isn't missing something the QNAP/SYnology has that I would need. Whats the major downsides.
<opinion>
QNAP and Synology are NAS manufacturers. That's their specialty. It's all about the software. WD is a small subset of software functions that QNAP/Synology have.
WD is a disk drive manufacturer. Buy it if you are OK with the Yugo and replace it soon when you want for more features.
</opinion>

My input is if you are needing a NAS to act as a central file server that you will read/write to over a long period then stay away from the WD products. WE have used them in a couple of our small offices that have 4-5 computers in them to share companies files - excel, word, etc. The drives are always disappearing, take forever to load, time out, and the interface is slow as molasses to load. Even with the trick of turning off thumbnailing they are very unreliable. This is especially true since we are running wired gigabit network via a gigabit switch and a top of line router(s).

Agree. WD is a disk drive maker, not a NAS maker. The software features in NAS like Synology and QNAP are very desirable. Try those two vendor's on-line demos on their web sites. You are on this forum because you are interested in NAS beyond the WD mass marketed appliances, we presume.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!