What's new

WD Red or WD Purple? For NAS and IP camera backup at the same time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't take the cheap route on disk drives or RAM.
My data, and my time to deal with faults, is top priority and I won't compromise to save 20%.

I hope QNAP isnt using a whitelist. Definitely should avoid generic RAM. There is a lot of overpriced generic RAM sold for apple products though. As long as the specs are compatible get good RAM like crucial, g.skill, corsair and non budget kingston. Samsung do make good RAM too.

Put that RAM into something that operates 24/7 and you will have problems.

Do you mean that I need 24/7 RAM, not just the normal one?

not exactly, there is no such thing as 24/7 ram. Theres ECC or non ECC, buffered or unbuffered. Than theres the frequency and timings, does it support standard timings? Than theres the voltage as well. I usually avoid value ram because they rarely do well stability wise but value ram of some brands such as corsair, kingston can be used but i would usually go for their standard rams. Stick to brands that are good for the DDR type (ADATA is good for DDR4 not DDR2 or lower). OEM brands like samsung and crucial/micron are also good and samsung do make low voltage ECC registered RAM.