What's new

Web gui wont take strong password

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

W4RH34D

Regular Contributor
Anyone know a way around this? Web Gui won't take strong password, but I can log in through telnet.

Anyone know a way around this? Web Gui won't take strong password, but I can log in through telnet.

Also double check the username, in case you changed it from the default of "admin" (must be lowercase).

You can change the password over telnet with the following commands:

Code:
nvram set http_passwd="newpassword"
nvram commit

Also double check the username, in case you changed it from the default of "admin" (must be lowercase).

You can change the password over telnet with the following commands:

Code:
nvram set http_passwd="newpassword"
nvram commit

Thanks, I'll file away that command, trust me, I searched for it.

I thought i was being funny and tried a "strong" username too, which included the upper case characters. LOL Made new logins with that criteria and it's fine now.

Today is change password day, I'm the only one celebrating.

Nope, this must be a new bug, not only will this 87u not let me log in to the web gui with a new strong password - that telnet command to change the password did not let me log in to the gui either.

Syslogd server shows this
Apr 1 09:24:29 *.*.com Apr 1 09:24:29 HTTP login: Detect abnormal logins at 5 times. The newest one was from *.*.*.*7.

If you are using a password manager like LastPass, make sure it's disabled for the router IP.

If you are using a password manager like LastPass, make sure it's disabled for the router IP.
Thanks for the idea. I'm gonna reboot the router after hours to see if the password will update. If not, I'll be forced to wipe it. Pretty glad I made screenshots of every setting page a few weeks ago.

I reboot the router and it never came back up for me to connect to. I'll check in tomorrow when I am physically by the device.

I reboot it locally, and chose a less insane password and all is well. This is two 87u's that behave this way. The confusing part is when telnet accepts the crazy password but the gui wont.

Funny thing about this router, I reboot it locally, and all the services come back up. When I reboot it remotely all of a sudden vpn never comes back. LOL

So now after reboot, AiProtection is blocking VPN connections. I had someone at the location reboot the router several times and it's still happening. I'm getting log files still sent as emails saying that my devices are being blocked from connecting. This is bizarre because A. I had made no configuration changes. and B. It's never happend before.

Ok after I posted this, I got an email from the router with more information, so now, apparently from this message, what I just said in the previous post is now wrong. Now it's saying, and even though it still matches up with the time I attempt to connect with the vpn, that I've visited some bad website.

Went up to the location, no errors in the log. Turned off vpn, turned it back on, all of a sudden it can't start the service. Turned it back off, then on. Adjusted the settings that have worked since we got it to something else. Mainly set it to default after I had been using tcp/tap. Anyway, also, the guest network disappeared, (never done that before) and wouldn't come back up after a reboot, or turning the radios on or off. I left that off and left without fixing it because it's not really that important.

If you're on the fence on whether or not to buy this unit, this is what you can expect. ;) Don't get me wrong, it's still eons better than what I experienced with linksys or dlink, but that doesn't mean it's perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

As I was typing this I was setting up a secondary VPN server remotely, but the asus wouldnt take the port forwarding information, so I was reading up when all of a sudden the VPN connection was disconnected and now I can't get back in. LOL

there was another thread about the WebGUI not accepting WPA/WPA2 passphrases longer than 16 characters - for the life of me, I can't find it at the moment, but it was something where the GUI would wedge hard - I recommended that someone file a bug with Asus on it...

there was another thread about the WebGUI not accepting WPA/WPA2 passphrases longer than 16 characters - for the life of me, I can't find it at the moment, but it was something where the GUI would wedge hard - I recommended that someone file a bug with Asus on it...
I've found sticking with the hex key is nice, it really started to hate the huge freakin key I made for it.

What can I say? I'm paranoid. But I'm also lazy, and when I do admin stuff I'd prefer to not be somewhere where an ethernet cable is nearby. I'm comfortable with using a strong key that I change out periodically.

I've found sticking with the hex key is nice, it really started to hate the huge freakin key I made for it.

What can I say? I'm paranoid. But I'm also lazy, and when I do admin stuff I'd prefer to not be somewhere where an ethernet cable is nearby. I'm comfortable with using a strong key that I change out periodically.

Believe it or not - this Pass Phrase is more than strong enough for WPA2/AES - 16charact3RsForu - I wouldn't use this obviously - but considering the search size space... it's like 4.85 x 10 to the 28th power strong...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!