What's new

Web traffic denied LAN -> WAN IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

colbond

New Around Here
Having a hard time wrapping my head around this one so hopefully I can explain it properly. This problem has only come up since switching to the ASUS a few weeks ago, so I'm sure it's a configuration issue. Web browsing inside my network works fine (LAN -> LAN). Leaving the network works fine (LAN -> WAN). And incoming works fine (WAN -> LAN). But if I'm inside the network and try to navigate to my public IP or DNS name the connection fails. For example if I'm on my phone at home on cellular and browse to my DNS name the page loads fine, but if I turn on wifi and join the network then it times out. I've looked at the iptables rules and can't spot any obvious problems (OUTPUT is ACCEPT with no rules, INPUT is allowing 80 and 443). None of the outbound filtering features should be enabled. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The function you are using in this case is called NAT Loopback, and is not fully functional in some code levels (You really need to specify what router and code you are running when posting). If you are on Merlin's latest 378.52_2....

378.52 has two different NAT loopback methods you can chose from.
Asus's: this one should work regardless of Adaptve QoS. It was broken in recent firmware releases from Asus, I don't remember in which release they fixed it.
Merlin's: this is the one that wasn't working with Adaptive QoS. 378.52 attempted to work around it by restarting the firewall on various DPI-related events that would usually break it.
I recommend you experiment with both methods, as one of them might work better for you. For me, both of them were working fine in my own tests.

AC-68R with 378.52_2 (latest as far as I can tell). I'll try changing the NAT Loopback method and report back. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!