What's new

Weird messages in log file - Thoughts ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

atlmatt26

New Around Here
Hi All,

I seem to get random reboots, mostly when UDP (gaming) traffic is running through the AC-5300 I have that's running 380.68_2.

Being an IT guy, I started picking through the router's different screens and noticed that I see the following by the thousands :

Sep 22 17:08:19 kernel: External imprecise Data abort at addr=0x7c000, fsr=0x1406, pc=0x8030f964 lr=0x7f04a6c4 ignored.
Sep 22 17:08:19 kernel: External imprecise Data abort at addr=0x80ec4, fsr=0x1406, pc=0x8030f964 lr=0x7f04a6c4 ignored.
Sep 22 17:08:19 kernel: External imprecise Data abort at addr=0x80ec4, fsr=0x1406, pc=0x8030f964 lr=0x7f04a6c4 ignored.

Now, I've tried looking, googling, etc and can't find a good answer on why this Router seems to be spamming errors, but have to wonder if that's what's causing it to literally and without any regular frequency soft-reboot, whereby internet, wireless, and LAN drop. I notice when this happens that all lights go off, and the router acts like it was unplugged and re-plugged.

However, it's brand new (2 weeks old), well ventilated (laptop fan cooler station under it), and on rock solid power behind a battery backed UPS. Basically overkill.

I had noticed these issues under the standard ASUS latest firmware, and they still continue under now Merlin.

Anyone notice these errors ? The sample above literally spams on and on, racking up about 1000 entries per minute. Any thoughts welcome, I'm having that rare google-fu failure where I can't seem to find a logical reason and the log messages being the only thing that seems to correlate....... but would love to be wrong.

Edit : I messed with logging levels and determined these are Notice level warnings. Still not sure if related to the random reboots, but thought I'd make sure I posted all details.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts !

/Matt

Try disabling NAT acceleration. Asus has been dealing with a few issues these past few releases involving NAT acceleration, and UDP or IPv6. Whenever they fix one, the other one breaks.

Try disabling NAT acceleration. Asus has been dealing with a few issues these past few releases involving NAT acceleration, and UDP or IPv6. Whenever they fix one, the other one breaks.

There IPv6 in there latest build works very well actually better then ever. At least for me.

Thanks for the replies guys. @RMerlin I tried disabling that, the router still reboots randomly, and still with the same messages spammed. I'm beginning to think this Router is shot. I can't recall spending as much time trying to get a router working in a home setting, feels like I never left the data center... :D

I hate to think that it's a bad product, and am hopeful that maybe it's just a bad router. Luckily, I bought it at MicroCenter 14 days ago. I'll try exchanging this one, and see if that fixes it, tomorrow.

/Matt