What's new

What a web we weave... Router selection frustration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tbonecopper

New Around Here
Greetings everyone!

I'm hoping someone can rationalize with me, my options for a router. A bit of background:

my internet connection is fiber, there's no modem just a ONT and ethernet port that I'd plug into the router. Speed is 50x25.

My home network is a hodge podge of devices including:

4 gigabit switches, 3 of which are maxed out at 10 ports
numerous computers on wired
numerous computers, tablets, and smartphones on wifi
a playstation
and a roku

We use our home network for a lot of different things. I work from home in IT so I'm always moving information about, using VPN, VoIP, uploading, downloading. I also game on PSN, and stream movies using netflix/amazon.

For years, I had an Apple Airport Extreme (it's about 5-6 years old now) and it worked fine until it died. I replaced it with a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk, which has turned out to be a horrible purchase. I noticed horrible lag, high ping, and large amounts of packet loss shortly after installing it, and I've been unable to find a solution to that.

So I ask of you, what are my options? I'm limited by a couple hundred bucks in budget. I really dislike generic consumer hardware, I find it doesn't last long and isn't very reliable despite what the manufacturer says. I'd prefer something business grade, if possible.

My list of importants/must haves (a short one):

at least 3 gigabit ethernet ports
802.11n ("ac" isn't important to me)
reliable, doesn't need to be rebooted every week
has a fast cpu
lots of memory
good gui interface - someone I work with suggested I build a monowall/pfsense box, I entertained the idea, but it's a bit much, imo.

I've looked at one of the SMC gigabit wireless routers, some stuff from engenius, and Cisco's small business lineup. Also, a friend at work recommended www.routerboard.com, though I've never purchased a microtik product.

If anyone has any thoughts, or suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I"m pulling my hair out, hah.

Thanks!

my internet connection is fiber, there's no modem just a ONT and ethernet port that I'd plug into the router. Speed is 50x25.
if you want to use the high speeds you're paying for, this is at the top or beyond what most consumer grade WiFi routers can do, in terms of NATing packets per second.
I think I'd get a wired-only SMB router. Not sure what product to recommend. Then add WiFi access point(s).

I covet the speed. I'll never see it in my residence, nor probably could I justify the cost. <grin>

agreed, though wifi speed isn't as important as wired. the only thing wifi is used for is web browsing on a laptop or tablet. Nothing super important.

I just saw your remark about the cost.. it's not much, 99 per month + tax :)

Last edited:
A generic consumer router, if functioning properly, should easily be able to handle those speeds. I have an old Netgear 3500L acting as my router and it handles my FIOS 75/35 speeds with ease.

It just sounds like a bad router, not necessiarly that the model itself is a problem.

AFAIK, FIOS (I assume your are on Verizon FIOS), just uses WAN DHCP, nothing like PPPoE that might add additional processing overhead for the router. So anything with a gigabit WAN port should be able to handle at least a good 200Mbps or so in duplex routing, if not significantly more. Most seem to be able to push 400-800Mbps with ease.