What's new

What ax router in the UK?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Snapshot

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently using an RT-AC86U as my router with a wired RT-AC68U as an AI-Mesh AP upstairs, both running Merlin f/w, of course. I now have two devices with WiFi 6 so would like to make the most of them. I'm hoping the newer technology will improve the range for WiFi 5 so I can do without the AP which is only marginally needed if I'm honest. We have terrible supply-chain problems in the UK at the moment so the logical choice of the RT-AX86U is completely unavailable. From Asus I can buy an GT-AX11000 (fugly, expensive but runs Merlin) or a pair of XT8s (no domestic issues, expensive, no Merlin, 2.5Gb/s port not for LAN) or something like a TP-Link Archer AX6600 (fugly, no Merlin) or AX11000 (fugly, expensive, no Merlin). There are probably suitable Netgear alternatives but it's hard to tell what the differences are between them. TP-Link doesn't get much coverage here and it's hard to find real-world experience of them. I might just shell out for a GT-AX11000 and live with the ear-bashing from SWMBO. ;)
Recommendations appreciated. Please help a confused old man.....

I'm hoping the newer technology will improve the range for WiFi 5 so I can do without the AP which is only marginally needed if I'm honest.
Wifi6 will not improve the range for you at all, and Wifi6e 6Ghz will probably reduce the range.

The only way to increase the range is to increase the transmit power, which requires hacking, and this is illegal anyway.

Here is the Australia region transmit power for each model (the highest region without hacking):
Model​
2.4G​
5G/5G-1​
5G-2​
RT-AC86U​
25 dBm / 316.2 mw​
25 dBm / 316.2 mw​
/​
GT-AC5300​
24 dBm / 251.2 mw​
24 dBm / 251.2 mw​
24dBm / 251.2 mw​
RT-AX88U​
26 dBm / 398.1 mw​
26 dBm / 398.1 mw​
/​
GT-AX11000​
24 dBm / 251.2 mw​
24 dBm / 251.2 mw​
24dBm / 251.2 mw​
RT-AX86U​
26 dBm / 398.1 mw​
26 dBm / 398.1 mw​
/​
RT-AX92U​
25 dBm / 316.2 mw​
25 dBm / 316.2 mw​
25dBm / 316.2 mw​
TUF-AX3000​
27 dBm / 501.2 mw​
26 dBm / 398.1 mw​
/​
RT-AX82U​
27 dBm / 501.2 mw​
26 dBm / 398.1 mw​
/​
ZenWiFi AX6600​
27 dBm / 501.2 mw​
25 dBm / 316.2 mw​
25 dBm / 316.2 mw​
ZenWiFi_XT4​
25 dBm / 316.2 mw​
26 dBm / 398.1 mw​
/​
RT-AX56U_V2​
24.5 dBm / 281.8 mw​
25 dBm / 316.2 mw​
/​
RT-AX68U​
25.5 dBm / 354.8 mw​
25.5 dBm / 354.8 mw​
/​

Last edited:
I'd stick with what you have. The main difference you would see with AX devices and an AX router is higher 2.4 GHz speed for your AX devices when they are close to the AX router. @sorachan is correct about not seeing increased range.

The fact that the AX86u is unavailable every where right now speaks volumes about how good it is, that and current market forces obviously.

I would wait until more AX86u's are available, nice looking, high performing. I got one myself to replace my NT66u back in December, I love it. Reliable, Configurable and Powerful.

My two cents, sorry pennies.

The fact that the AX86u is unavailable every where right now speaks volumes about how good it is, that and current market forces obviously.

I repeatedly keep reading this yet in The Netherlands it's available almost everywhere. I don't know what the SMRP is but it's available here for around EUR 269,00, around 320 USD. I have seen them as low as EUR 229, but that won't be happening for a while I suppose, whith the growing chip shortage.

My RT-AC86U is 'brand new', as in, it has been shelved for quite some time and only recently I started using it, so I see no need to replace it now. But for those who are from the Netherlands or within Europe and willing to pay postage outside NL, the AX-86u is broadly available here.

I repeatedly keep reading this yet in The Netherlands it's available almost everywhere. I don't know what the SMRP is but it's available here for around EUR 269,00, around 320 USD. I have seen them as low as EUR 229, but that won't be happening for a while I suppose, whith the growing chip shortage.

My RT-AC86U is 'brand new', as in, it has been shelved for quite some time and only recently I started using it, so I see no need to replace it now. But for those who are from the Netherlands or within Europe and willing to pay postage outside NL, the AX-86u is broadly available here.
Brexit has a lot to answer for. I paid £240 for mine from amazon back in December, There is 1 available on Amazon right now for 280 but it looks like it comes from Spain. Seems all the main suppliers, overclockers, scan, currys, very etc are all oos.

Last edited:
I have just bought one from cclonline.com about a week ago. They were oos so I left my email and about 3 weeks later I was notified that they had arrived. I see they are oos again. Hot cakes eh !!

And yesterday it popped up on Amazon so I grabbed one. I selected free delivery on Thursday and it arrived today! Installed asuswrt-merlin plus the settings file from the AC86U and job done (once I'd got the WAN & 2.5Gb/s ports the right way round!). 5GHz wireless is probably about 30% faster on multi-gigabyte backups and it works better as a wired switch than older Asus routers ever did so I'm happy.

Normally I would fully agree with you but I was sure I'd seen a post from RMerlin saying it was okay.
There are multiple posts from him saying the opposite. e.g. link He did say that restoring a jffs backup "should" be OK provided it's on the same platform, but that's a different thing.

Oops. I did check again after you mentioned it but I didn't go back that far. Fortunately it seems to have worked but I'll reset to factory defaults if I do get any problems.