What's new

What backup software do you use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ingeborgdot

Regular Contributor
I have a QNAP 415+ NAS. I am planning on doing an online backup and onsite to the NAS. Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you use to backup to the NAS? I can't seem to find anything that backs up online and will do it to the NAS also. Any help would be appreciated.

Does it work anything like a carbonite or crashplan online backup. Does it work in real time?

Does it work anything like a carbonite or crashplan online backup. Does it work in real time?

It backs the clients to the NAS - either sync or backup - then you back the NAS up to something else...

carbonite/crashplan - different tools, different purpose..

OP was asking about backup of the NAS, rather than backup PC files to NAS, as I read it.

Carbonite will not permit a NAS backup under their affordable plans. And TB of data is too much to backup to an internet "cloud" service. Via WEBDAV, rsync, and other common NAS utilities you can backup some or all of the NAS to an online service.
And there are custom backups for Amazon Web Services (AWS) and similar.

But you can backup selected VIP folders, as I do, to a service like Adrive or iDrive.

These are secondary backups. The primary backups are a second volume in your NAS or an external USB drive or drives.

I am not as experienced as you guys for sure. I did talk to Crashplan, Carbonite, and Backblaze and none support backups from a NAS is what I found out. I was not planning on doing that anyway. In the system that I am setting up for my friend there will be 6 computers that will need to be backed up so this is what I was told to do to have a variety of places that that the info would be. I am planning on using the NAS as a backup site and an access point for their info fast. First, the computers will back up to the NAS using their backup software I guess unless someone has a better one to use. Then I would also have them on CrashPlan or whatever other online backup to use and just let it run in the background to update real time as work goes on, if that is a good idea. Anyway, that would give me three places that the info would be. Computer, NAS, and online.
Now, I have a question how I should set this up. All 6 computers will have different things going online and into the NAS but everything will be accessed by everyone on those other computers also. There will not be a lot of info being downloaded but it is just important info is all. One of the computers will have mostly pictures and some documents but many of the others will have mainly Excel or QuickBooks type of info. Since I have not done anything at this level of computers before could someone offer a suggestion how I should setup the NAS for the different computers and online for the same computers. I just want to make sure that everything is easy to access for them whe

And most NAS vendors have their own backup software for the NAS - QNAP has Backup Station, which allows you to backup to another device... and you can schedule it based on needs/requirements...

QNAP supports Elephant Drive for NAS-to-cloud backups. I was using it for a customer's home NAS, seemed to work pretty well.

I started using File History and it seems to work real well for a backup. I don't know how easy it is to restore from this as I have NEVER had to restore anything. It really looks like NetBak has a restore button. Would it be wise to use NetBak also? Just curious. Thanks.

I know the backup 3-2-1. I am doing that. I am on CrashPlan. I am downloading to a drive someone takes home every night. I am even going to send it to a NAS off site besides the onsite NAS. I was just wondering if I should also use 2 types of backup to the NAS i case one doesn't work properly. I'm going to have so many backups that I won't be able to see straight. My question is since I have never used either the File History or NetBack I was not sure about them and wondered if I should use NetBack also or maybe use NetBack instead of File History.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!