What's new

What DNS do you use with your Asus/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Google DNS here. ISP blocks some sites that I use daily at DNS level

I assume you lived in some place we expect to see such restrictions - but WTF in belgium? What do they block?

Torrent sites.

Well you could configure the router to use all three public dns servers (Google, OpenDNS and your ISP) with the following option in dnsmasq:

all-servers

dnsmasq will query all three and use the first response it gets back. But this is not considered good practice. This way if one server is slow and another is faster, you will always get the fastest response time.
Just ADD that line in dnsmasq.conf?
(Linux n00b)

I've always advised people to stick to the ISP's DNS, unless they needed either the OpenDNS filtering capabilities, or something was very wrong with their ISP's.

I found this very interesting article showing the concrete performance impact that comes from using one of those public nameservers when it comes to CDN performance:

http://www.cdnplanet.com/blog/google-dns-opendns-and-cdn-performance/

Thanks for the info, also being in Canada (northern Ontario) I used OpenDNS the other day and took a performance hit, back with the ISP DNS now.

sheildsup guy has a way faster dnsbench test
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
Dude, this is an awesome tool! Thanks for pointing it out.

I was having a problem with Yahoo groups pages hanging (waiting for "Sponsored Content") and was able to select a different set of DNS entries hosted by my local ISP. It turns out some Cox DNS servers don't correctly error and try to put up a "nice" page instead of erroring. This doesn't work with embedded cross-site URLs. According to the tool, Google and OpenDNS are way slow for my area, at least.

Dude, this is an awesome tool! Thanks for pointing it out.

I was having a problem with Yahoo groups pages hanging (waiting for "Sponsored Content") and was able to select a different set of DNS entries hosted by my local ISP. It turns out some Cox DNS servers don't correctly error and try to put up a "nice" page instead of erroring. This doesn't work with embedded cross-site URLs. According to the tool, Google and OpenDNS are way slow for my area, at least.

Be sure to limit the connections per second (or a similar parameter). Most of the DNS benchmarks I have tried instantly saturated my connection, which causes a mojority of the results to be useless.

Was using Google DNS, but recently switched to Alternate-DNS, which provides ad-blocking. So far been pleased with it.

Still use opendns "20 years" give or take I like filter and anti malware features. my ISP DNS are faster and much closer to me, but it support these features

I use my ISP's (Cox in Oklahoma). Whatever the default is. The only time I used an OpenDNS or something was when there was a clear problem with the ISP's DNS servers. This hasn't happened in several years though.

Using my own dns server via dnscrypt I host in a uk datacentre.
I also ditched dnsmasq which seems buggy and possibly EOL given the dev doesnt reply to emails, to unbound which is faster and more reliable on my router.

Using my own dns server via dnscrypt I host in a uk datacentre.
I also ditched dnsmasq which seems buggy and possibly EOL given the dev doesnt reply to emails, to unbound which is faster and more reliable on my router.

I suspect Simon sticks to the mailing list, otherwise he'd be spending his days answering private emails.

He's still active on the mailing list:

http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2016q2/thread.html

He's also still committing code to the repo.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but just wondering if everyone still jumps on the old OpenDNS bandwagon, or has that ship sailed and everyone sticks with their default ISP DNS?

I am currently using default ISP DNS currently, but used to use OpenDNS, and have also used GoogleDNS.

Any advantages of a non ISP DNS?

For fun run DnsBench and see the result.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but just wondering if everyone still jumps on the old OpenDNS bandwagon, or has that ship sailed and everyone sticks with their default ISP DNS?

I am currently using default ISP DNS currently, but used to use OpenDNS, and have also used GoogleDNS.

Any advantages of a non ISP DNS?

I am currently using Google DNS.

Wasn't there an opt-out on the UK Great Firewall?

only for adult content, not what is deemed as paedophile and copyright content, its only a matter of time other stuff gets added to the mandatory lists.

Well let rephrase I normally use OPENDNS but for last few month they seem to be having issue loading/connected to sites in timely mater that I frequent, as I find my self switch back to my ISP DNS..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!