What's new

What Do You Use Your Production Home VM For?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AdvHomeServer

What do you use your Virtual Machine (VM) for?

Please exclude all VMs that exist on one PC and are used for educational or experimental purposes.

I mean real, working VMs in a home network setting. It can be experimental, but should be accessible by all / many network clients, not just the experimenter.

Examples

Not included

For example, I once had a Windows Server network via VirtualBox on a laptop for educational purposes. Nobody else could get at it. I do not mean this kind of VM.

Included
I am thinking of putting my pfSense router and Windows or linux on a box in VMs and using Win / linux via TeamViewer for everything I can't do or do well on an android tablet.

Is it a Type 1 or Type 2 VM?
Type 1 VM hypervisors are the OS. Type 2 VMs run under the OS, such as VirtualBox under Windows. Hyper-V under Win8 Pro is a hybrid (to me).

For those who are way ahead of me and already doing slick stuff, what are you using your home VM for?

Here at the Fortress - I do have a VM running production code for home use - Debian 8 running in a KVM/QEMU instance (QNAP QTS 4.1.4, their Virtualiztion Station application, which is a nice web based front end for KVM/QEMU)

I would not suggest running PFSense inside a VM - routing is fairly sensitive to latency, and while modern hypervisors are fairly stable and fast (both Type 1 and 2), better to run things on metal there.

I have a few VMs running at home.
Freenas,
Unifi controller,
Unifi video,
Windows server for AD,
Couple of other other test guests.