What's new

What encryption should you use with your VPN service provider for maximum speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yorgi

Very Senior Member
My buddy and I made some tests with the following encryption's and PIA VPN service provider with an
ASUS 68U and Merlin Firmware.

We compared;

BF-CBC port 1194
No encryption port 1195
AES-128-CBC port 1196
AES-256-CBC port 1197

Bandwidth without VPN is 60 mbps

No Encryption Will post soon!
BF-CBC 44.52 mbps
AES-128-CBC 54.91 mbps
AES-256-CBC 27 mbps

As you can see AES-128-CBC came out as a winner for fastest speeds :)

I doubt that one can get faster speeds even if they had a 100mbps
from what I see 55 mbps is an average that I have seen people get from different parts of the country.

If anyone gets better speeds let us know what they are :)

Last edited:
My vote is for AES-128-CBC, unless I was to send some seriously sensitive data-which I don't think I have any of that laying around... :cool:

In OpenSSL, part of the AES code was written directly in assembler, for optimal performance. So for the same bit length, AES will always win over Blowfish with OpenSSL, despite the two ciphers being very similar.

If you're looking for speed only - and not too worried about security - PPTP is very fast...

OpenVPN has design issues that do limit thru put... not OpenSSL, it's the jump up and down the protocol stack...

If you're looking for speed only - and not too worried about security - PPTP is very fast...

OpenVPN has design issues that do limit thru put... not OpenSSL, it's the jump up and down the protocol stack...

With OpenVPN, the majority of the CPU usage is not encryption (OpenSSL) related?

Do you have a link to support this?