What's new

What equipment do I need?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rabmac

New Around Here
Hi,

I was wondering what equipment I need for this setup:

1. Main computer connected to separate network via ethernet cable and on its own network which has traffic priority. Do online gaming with this. (OS = Windows 7, location = downstairs)
2. Media PC connected to separate network via ethernet cable and all devices can access it via wifi to stream content. (OS = Windows 7, location = upstairs & downstairs)
3. Wireless Network for children which I can control web access. (OS = android, location = upstairs & downstairs)
4. Work network that has ethernet connection and wireless connection. (OS = Various versions of Windows, Location = upstairs)
5. Would like ac connection but not essential.
6. Have £100 budget but could stretch it slightly.

I am currently using the modem-router provided by my IP but I don't have the option to setup various networks and the coverage is poor upstairs (modem-router has bad positioning due to phone line). I am happy to run cables under the floor and through walls.

Would be helpful if you could provide specific equipment recommendations.

Thanks

I suggest a semi managed switch with a configurable router. For the router that depends on your WAN speeds but take a look at ubiquiti, mikrotik, pfsense and more non consumer routers that support vlan on LAN. These routers support QoS as well. The ubiquiti ERL supports QoS up to 100Mb/s, the ERPRO up to 200Mb/s so dont be fooled by their claims and misinformation. For mikrotik their fastest MIPS will do around 200Mb/s or more, their ARM and other architectures handle the load better. X86 will have no issues keeping up and mikrotik has routerOS for x86 too or you can get their TILE if you need gigabit NAT with QoS.

To do the segmentation you ask you need layer 2 and layer 3 segmentation. layer 2 via managed switch, layer 3 via router and telling the router not to route in between.

For your wifi you can get a consumer router like asus or netgear or any decent one to use as an AP. You can also uses non consumer like mikrotik or ubiquiti indoor APs.

If you wire up your house your modem needs to be where internet comes in, the router can be anywhere.

For £100 it is possible if your WAN speeds are low enough. Consumer routers like ASUS dont support vlans on LAN even though they support guest network so you cant segment with it and you can ask @RMerlin if his firmware supports vlan on LAN for segmentation. For that budget i would suggest either mikrotik or ubiquiti ER-X or x86 (scavenged) with managed switch and get ubiquiti indoor AP or one of mikrotik's indoor AP but i dont think it would be enough for what you ask unless you can scavenge a PC to use as router.

First of all I would like to thank you for providing such an in depth response. Unfortunately for me networking is not one of my strong IT subjects so I don't understand everything you said. However, I am going to go and do some reading and try and figure it all out. If I get stuck I will be back with more questions if that is OK. Otherwise, I will post back with an update on my progress/decision.

Thanks

Its best you do research, this website and others have guides about network segmentation. VLAN is a fad nowadays but its just a layer 2 segmentation. Consumer routers support wifi segmentation in the form of guest network (so only 2 segments) but not on LAN. unlike the LACP fad VLAN if done wrong means no internet or the wrong result (such as connectivity).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!