What's new

What is a good, free,private DNS that doesn't log traffic?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oops, I made a mistake. When I was doing the DNSLeakTest.com extended testing on
I had a proxy server set to on. In that case, I saw that the DNSLeakTest.com extended test had my inquiry transmitted to/through 5-7 servers owned by Google in various countries. It also masked my real IP address. If I turned off the proxy server settings and redid the test, there was only the one DNS server listed for 83.200.83.136. So those DNS server settings are indeed not leaking. Unfortunately, DNSLeakTest.com saw my real IP address.

If I use one set of DNS server IP addresses in the LAN =>DHCP settings with Router IP not advertised along with local domain inquiries not forwarded to upstream DNS, and another set of DNS server IP addresses in the WAN settings; I find that the LAN DNS servers are the location where the DNS inquiries go. Is this normal?

I would think that the WAN IP addresses would be the ones where the DNS resolution took place. I don't know anything about how the firmware is written so this is for my edification. Also, why are there separate DNS server settings for the LAN and WAN?

Oops, I made a mistake. When I was doing the DNSLeakTest.com extended testing on
I had a proxy server set to on. In that case, I saw that the DNSLeakTest.com extended test had my inquiry transmitted to/through 5-7 servers owned by Google in various countries. It also masked my real IP address. If I turned off the proxy server settings and redid the test, there was only the one DNS server listed for 83.200.83.136. So those DNS server settings are indeed not leaking. Unfortunately, DNSLeakTest.com saw my real IP address.

If I use one set of DNS server IP addresses in the LAN =>DHCP settings with Router IP not advertised along with local domain inquiries not forwarded to upstream DNS, and another set of DNS server IP addresses in the WAN settings; I find that the LAN DNS servers are the location where the DNS inquiries go. Is this normal?

I would think that the WAN IP addresses would be the ones where the DNS resolution took place. I don't know anything about how the firmware is written so this is for my edification. Also, why are there separate DNS server settings for the LAN and WAN?

WAN DNS servers are those that the Router uses to turn a domain name into an IP address. Generally this is set to Automatic and then provided by your ISP.

LAN DNS (via DHCP server) is generally left blank so that the DNS record is done by the router (cached). In some setups there could be a dedicated machine that acts as DNS server could be specified on the LAN which is then responsible for doing the lookup. This server would then be handed out to the clients that are obtaining an IP address from the router.

To make your life a little bit easier you could use the DNS filtering options for just client based filtering. Depending on what version you're running this might be under the AIProtection -> DNS Filtering section or Parental Controls.