What's new

What is the WAN to LAN speeds on AC68 with the latest Merlin fw?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amd7674

Regular Contributor
I have to upgrade my trusty N66U due to its slow WAN to LAN, throttling my recent 1GB ISP. It was fine on 100mb ISP.

I'm considering AC68 and R7000. I'm leaning toward AC68 since I was happy with N66U.

Can someone please tell me if AC68 with latest merlin fw will be fine for ~800mb WAN to LAN? I hope it can handle 1GB connection.

Also I saw some VOIP issues, is this only with VOIP software? or it can impact my current OBI110 box (perfectly fine working setup with 2 sips).

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please tell me if AC68 with latest merlin fw will be fine for ~800mb WAN to LAN? I hope it can handle 1GB connection.

Yes, as long as NAT acceleration is enabled, it has no trouble hitting 940 Mbps.

THANK YOU !!!

I just picked up RT-AC1900p which I believe has tad faster dual CPU than AC68 and I can use its firmware.

THANK YOU !!!

I just picked up RT-AC1900p which I believe has tad faster dual CPU than AC68 and I can use its firmware.

You picked the best version of the RT-AC68U. :)

Tad faster? 75% faster is more than a 'tad'. ;)

You picked the best version of the RT-AC68U. :)

Tad faster? 75% faster is more than a 'tad'. ;)

Is it seriously 75% faster? I seriously didn't know that. I only knew my friends were happy with RT-AC68U and this has upgraded 1.4Ghz CPU from 1.0Ghz..

Is it seriously 75% faster? I seriously didn't know that. I only knew my friends were happy with RT-AC68U and this has upgraded 1.4Ghz CPU from 1.0Ghz..

The 'original' RT-AC68U was clocked at 800 MHz (hence, the 75% faster). ;)

The 'original' RT-AC68U was clocked at 800 MHz (hence, the 75% faster). ;)

LOL... that makes sense... I thought it was running at 1.0Ghz... That tells how much I know :-(

LOL... that makes sense... I thought it was running at 1.0Ghz... That tells how much I know :-(

Hardware revision B1, which has been sold for the past 10-12 months, has a 1 GHz clock.

RMerlin, I still haven't run across those yet. ;)

I configured one for a customer, last December. Came from one of our Canadian suppliers.

Amazon (US) seems to be shipping the AC68u / B1. The last one I got from them had firmware 3.0.0.4.378_8258 and was manufactured in 2016.

Don't blame Asus for retail keeping massive stock :)
But that's the thing, they weren't.

The 2 main retailers in the UK are Amazon and PC World. Both of them ran out of stock about a month ago. It was weeks before they got new stock. This usually indicates a new product line. But when they did get new stock, I bought one and it was still an A2 model.

Amazon UK is again out of stock, so maybe this time...

The 2 main retailers in the UK are Amazon and PC World. Both of them ran out of stock about a month ago. It was weeks before they got new stock. This usually indicates a new product line. But when they did get new stock, I bought one and it was still an A2 model.

Could be Asus has larger inventories of routers with a EU region code, so it's taking longer for them to flush it out. Or, they decided that the North American market needed the hardware performance bump more badly, for marketing reasons.

All depends whether or not Asus is the direct supplier.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!