What's new

What options should I consider when buying a BETTER wifi adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also check out Monoprice for the flat cable variety too and get a Cat5e or higher quality cable that is much longer than you think you need as long as it is less than 300M, of course.

What makes the cable high quality? I was thinking of just buying one from Ebay like this one here. Why should I buy it from monoprice? Btw the current cable I have is 50ft. I guess I will need a 100ft maybe to make it hug the walls and corners

What makes the cable high quality? I was thinking of just buying one from Ebay like this one here. Why should I buy it from monoprice? Btw the current cable I have is 50ft. I guess I will need a 100ft maybe to make it hug the walls and corners

The manufacturer is usually the mark of a quality cable. Material, construction and testing varies greatly.

ebay is not where I would buy myself.

I suggested monoprice because that is where I've seen the flat cables offered. If you find the idea and ease of the flat LAN cable useful, buy it from anywhere you prefer, of course.

How? What modem? As Tim has suggested, only uploads can be properly regulated by some equipment on our end. The ISP would be the one to regulate the download side.
So something like this wouldn't work? It's using ip bandwidth control. I figured I could limit download on a specific device (the client in the house who is streaming/torrenting.

bump. I mentioned a router in the post above. I am hoping someone can comment on why even this feature wouldn't be able to limit download speed on a device. I was told in this thread that QoS focuses more on regulating upload speed

bump. I mentioned a router in the post above. I am hoping someone can comment on why even this feature wouldn't be able to limit download speed on a device. I was told in this thread that QoS focuses more on regulating upload speed

I mentioned that some equipment only regulates upload speeds via QoS (Asus).

That router seems to have some nice capabilities, if they work as indicated. But I can't answer to how well it works, sorry.

The manufacturer is usually the mark of a quality cable. Material, construction and testing varies greatly.

ebay is not where I would buy myself.

I suggested monoprice because that is where I've seen the flat cables offered. If you find the idea and ease of the flat LAN cable useful, buy it from anywhere you prefer, of course.

The flat cables - I've had good luck with them on really short runs (less than 2 meters), but I'm a bit leary of them on longer runs...

But as you mention - quality cable is a must on a longer run - Monoprice is decent enough - I've had good luck with them on pre-made cables.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!