What's new

What router should I buy for home use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I swear that picture of the hairless cat is immoral or illegal.

Ugggh... :/

It's a picture of a cat - and Sphynx kitties are like that...

Sorry if the joke was over some folks heads... it's the weekend, and we need to lighten up..

It's a picture of a cat - and Sphynx kitties are like that...

Sorry if the joke was over some folks heads... it's the weekend, and we need to lighten up..

lol, I know it's a cat... it's just so pug fugly.

And folks complain how the threads sometime get way off track...

Now you know...

I really have a bad download and upload speed about 2.mbps downstream and 0.81 mbps. Number of devices connected are only smartphones and tablets, and then a maximum of 7 devices connected.
3 users streaming at the same time.
There are about 2-3 neighboring wireless networks and users are about 3m-5m close to the router.
My pc is wired connected
Like others have already mentioned you're really not giving us a lot to go on.

Is 2 x 0.8 Mbps the speed you're paying for or your actual speeds? If this represents your actual speeds is it close to the service speed you are paying for?

Like someone else already hinted at, before you simply throw money (a new router) at the problem, you may want to do some basic trouble shooting?
  • With nothing else running does your wired PC achieve your subscribed rate? If not why not?
  • With nothing else running do your wireless nodes achieve your subscribed rate? If not why not?
When the stand-alones are up to snuff start poking at the interactions. You've already identified one, streaming compromises gaming on your PC.
  • Streaming. A stream could demand as much as 5Mbps. Do you even have enough bandwidth?
What's your current router? It could be as simple as enabling and configuring QoS?

Finally, for $100, someone already mentioned the RT-AC56. There's also the venerable RT-N66U. In any case I really like the Asus Traffic Monitors. I love being able to see actual traffic. It helps so much for planning and troubleshooting. Upgrade to Merlin and you can see what device is sucking up the bandwidth. This kind of information allows you to further fine tune QoS as needed.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!