What's new

What should WAN DNS Setting be?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binarydad

Regular Contributor
I run my own DNS servers at home (the ones below). I noticed this setting was getting DNS info from my ISP. I manually set them as my own two DNS servers. Could this cause any adverse affects? Thanks.

upload_2017-9-12_15-38-29.png

Only adverse effect is if your DNS server is down at home, so is everything else. I stopped using my home DNS server as my primary for this reason.

If you're using my firmware, make sure you also enable the option that tells the router to forward local queries to upstream DNS servers - that way the router will be able to use your internal DNS for LAN resolution.

(sorry, can't check the exact name of the setting, I don't have access to a router at the moment).

"Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS"

i have my own dns server as well.

it is set as my dns in the lan side of the asus merlin page.

if i do aas the OP and set up wan dns to point to the internal dns as well.... and agree to foward local queries to this dns server as it is the upstream...

what happens is webpages dont resolve.

and i get this via nslookup

C:\Users\loacpc>nslookup espn.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.150

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
soon as i change back the upstream dns in wan..... everything works again

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!